Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2024, 06:21 PM   #1

Question Skid Panels loose

Hello all Road Trekkers,

This is my second time owning a RT. This is a RT Chevy 2005, 92 k miles.

The blue panels close to the ground- I've always called them valences. Perhaps they are skid panels ? They are all wonky or loose. How is this repaired?

Also, drivers side metal strip, that you step over is loose. How is this repaired ?

Thanks in advance !
Old 06-27-2024, 06:53 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnp1660@gmail.com View Post
Hello all Road Trekkers,

This is my second time owning a RT. This is a RT Chevy 2005, 92 k miles.

The blue panels close to the ground- I've always called them valences. Perhaps they are skid panels ? They are all wonky or loose. How is this repaired?

Also, drivers side metal strip, that you step over is loose. How is this repaired ?

Thanks in advance !

They are certainly not skid panels and will get damage badly it they hit the ground very hard.

If they are like our Chevy 190P there are formed up channels of steel that hold up the tanks and then extend out to support the "side pods, ground affects, skirting, whatever you want to call them. The screws that hold the skirting to the channels strip out very easily even if you don't touch them, but can be replaced with larger screws but you may have to enlarge the holes in the channels also or even readjust where the channels support the tanks. People often tighten or loosen them on the tanks and then they don't line up with skirts. Put the skirt screws in first and then adjust the tank mounts to match works best for me.

There should be no metal step as you get into the van, as it should be a step that is integral with the skirting. Yours may be broken/missing a piece. Look at pix of other of the the model as you have to see what it should look like.

The only cure for the low ground clearance is to do a lift on the van and there is lots of information on this forum on that.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
how to repair, valences vs skid panels