Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2024, 04:14 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Sumo springs in Chevies

I have gotten a request to help source parts and a shop to do an easier and less expensive 2-3" lift on the a 2004 Chevy 190 to prevent plumbing damage.

I know that a number of members have put on Sumo springs for various reasons, but finding all the information can be challenging in all the history we have.

Bottom line has anyone done a Sumo install that would give the desired 2-3" desired by itself with no springs or spacers changed?

If so what were part numbers (colors?) used to do it. Plus any information on a shop that is willing to mess with it, preferably east coast but west OK, too.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2024, 05:54 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I have the Sumos on my 2005 Chev 3500 chassis at stock height- (black- medium load range) self install time 1.5 hours

They do not change the ride height-

the rear replace the bumpstops and compress maybe 3/8" ...

the front bumpstops are an active part of the suspension, the sumos probably compress 1/2" at rest

in the rear I suppose if using "blocks" to alter ride height same size blocks could be used between frame rail and sumos.

not sure about the front

I have a devil of a time with pics... here's a link to pic of the rear sumo installed : https://photos.app.goo.gl/icbB9Nd85ggfBfjLA

Here's a link to the front stock bumpstop before removal: https://photos.app.goo.gl/BiS5xYhuu3ytv4CE6

here is a link to comparing GM to Sumo front bumpstop: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1uZRSM3c5CvEhjzg8
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I viewed the Sumo Springs as Better-Bump Stops. The 2008 OEM bump stops were shot and these replaced them. Didn't expect that the Sumo Springs would give me any lift, so opted for this:

A call to Sumo Springs gave me the part numbers I needed.

I took my time, maybe a couple of days (easy labor), and gave me 2-3 inches of lift.

Cheers - Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lift kit.jpg (63.5 KB, 3 views)
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM   #4

13 Chevy 190 Popular. Installed the yellow (high load) sumos on the rear and the black (mid load) sumos on the front. Gained little to no height in the front and maybe an inch in the rear. They do help considerably to dampen any rocking on curves or angled approaches, and perhaps less floating around in high crosswinds. Still thinking about a 2-3 inch lift kit myself. Perhaps after installing some bilstein shocks. Heartland Tire shop near me did the work, as well as a front alignment and new tires. They work on cars and trucks of all sizes.
Roadfossil is offline   Reply With Quote