Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

1999 Xplorer 230 XLW - Rear Sway Bar

Registry
RV Name 1999 Xplorer 230 XLW - Rear Sway Bar
Year 1999
Make
Model
Comments: 2 / Views: 299
Old 05-21-2024, 06:13 PM   #2

My Xplorer has a rear stabilizer/sway bar (see pictures) and I need to replace the bushings. For all you Xplorer owners, does your camper van have a rear sway bar? I'm not the original owner so I don't know if it was factory or added later, or what brand the bar is. The sway bar and bushings attach on the lower side of the same bracket that the rear shocks attach to on the opposite top side. Makes it hard to know what bushing to purchase since I don't think this was maybe not the norm for the Xplorer vehicles, or the Dodge 3500 Ram Van chassis/9.25 rear axle set up. Any help or suggestions are welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sway Bar.jpg (407.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Sway Bar Link.jpg (183.8 KB, 6 views)
Roughcutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 04:45 PM   #3
Gold Member

I have a 1999 XLWT and I can tell you that is not a stock/OEM sway bar. No idea who made it, but I am jealous - I've always thought mine would benefit greatly from a rear bar.
Replacement bushings should be easy - for the ones holding the bar to the axle (circled in your first picture), all you need to do is measure the diameter of the bar and the OD and length of the rubber bushing. For the end links (circled in your 2nd picture) all you need is the diameter of the bolt and the thickness of the donuts. Any real (read, old fashioned & staffed with real car guys/gals) auto parts store should be able to supply those. Alternative is a local suspension shop. You may be faced with deciding if you want rubber or urethane (soft or harder) and a suspension shop can help you understand the options.
The real job is removing and replacing them - even though I do most of my own work, I would probably just have a shop replace them for me.
D&J Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote