Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2024, 04:14 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobafanzi View Post
The tires are Michelin Agilis Cross Climate Load range E. I have tried different tires and high pressures. Going 80 psi tires in the rear just made the vehicle bounce. I'm not against going with a larger rim and a lower profile tire but I would need advice on what to choose and I don't want to make the ride more harsh than it already is. If trac bar is a flop, I can always remove it and the next step will be tires and rims. I requested the Hellwig sway bar but this is NY and they installed something else. The shop spent under $200 on materials and charged $4184.63. Most likely trying to maximize profit. Spending $650.00 on a Hellwig kit was too easy for them. As for the Hellwig trac bar, Hellwig doesnt make a kit for the 2500. I asked many questions when I called Hellwig and possible solutions a while back and they are too busy to call me back. Last request I made was about a week ago. I was informed the person I need to speak to was out of town on a rally for a while. I started my own R&D for making my own trac bar. The maximum upward travel of the suspension is 2.5" until contact is made with the bump stops. I'm not sure how much the arc in suspension travel will affect the handling and if polyurethane bushings will be too tight. Hellwig uses polyurethane.I can always swap out to rubber bushings. Certainly an easy task. I am not driving a race car so I'm planning on installing the trac bar perfectly horizontal and parallel with the axle. The length of my trac bar will be about the same as the Hellwig and at about the same locations on the frame and on the axle tube. My only difference I was planning is mounting the trac bar slightly rearward of the axle tube instead of directly over the center of the axle tube. The leaf springs being mounted to the frame in the front should prevent any change in the direction the rear axle is pointing. If you think this install will not function, I'm all ears. Please explain how Roll Center will play in this application? I really don't want to create a monster. Also, the point on the rear axle tube where Hellwig bolts their trac bar to is tapered on my axle and a different diameter than the 3500. Also there is very little distance from my axle center section and the floor of the vehicle. Your input is greatly appreciated. Joe

Parallel to the axle centerline/ground is the norm. Having the bar as long as possible is said to help binding and such., but not eliminate the problemss.

For roll center it is probably better for you to just search on "what is roll center and how do I calculate it". There are lots of suspension sites that do way better than I could do to show how it works, and lots of diagrams besides.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote