Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2024, 12:28 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Sewer hose end piece reinstallation

I cut off a few inches of sewer hose, and want to reinstall the threaded cap onto the hose. I cut off several wraps of very pliable tape from the end, I suspect a previous owner installed that as a way to deal with damaged hose at the end.

Would adding plumbers putty to the orange threaded end piece piece prior to threading on the blue hose do anything to reduce leakage from the hose and end piece? Not sure its helpful, but would rather do it all once then taking it apart again later.

thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20240825_171729713.jpg (210.0 KB, 15 views)
sbslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2024, 12:33 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbslider View Post
I cut off a few inches of sewer hose, and want to reinstall the threaded cap onto the hose. I cut off several wraps of very pliable tape from the end, I suspect a previous owner installed that as a way to deal with damaged hose at the end.

Would adding plumbers putty to the orange threaded end piece piece prior to threading on the blue hose do anything to reduce leakage from the hose and end piece? Not sure its helpful, but would rather do it all once then taking it apart again later.

thanks!
I think Camco sells a non threaded clamp for this application. Plumbers putty may not work as well as a clamp.
Old 08-26-2024, 01:06 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbslider View Post

thanks!
You can find on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-39163-E...9&gad_source=1
Old 08-26-2024, 03:49 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I have a variety of thread sealers for various purposes and would never think to add one to the connection. I would think plumbers putty would be too thick and cause problems.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2024, 04:05 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
I have a variety of thread sealers for various purposes and would never think to add one to the connection. I would think plumbers putty would be too thick and cause problems.
Agree, plumbers’ putty shouldn’t be used on most of plastic joints because it can weaken them. You can use 3M 5200 or 4200 polyurethane sealants to make these joints permanent, but as far I know this would be on overkill.
GeorgeRa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 08:52 PM   #6
Silver Member

Thanks for the responses! Somehow I missed the ones about plumbers putty, I guess I'll be doing my own trial on it as that's what I ended up using. This is intended to be a temporary fix, as I really do need to replace the whole hose, but punting on it for the near term.

If anyone has done this on a 2006 vintage RT popular I'd love to get tips on how to proceed. I've watched a couple videos but none that match my van.
sbslider is offline   Reply With Quote