Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2024, 09:36 AM   #1

Default Running a TV Using Solar Panels

Are any of you guys running a TV using roof solar panels?

I tried running mine but it's now working so well. Seems to be draining the batteries very quickly. The TV is a Samsung 32” T5300 HD HDR Smart TV. Can;t find any info on watts. But it has an energy rating of 'F'. The solar set up is working fine. It runs the interior lights and charges our elecrtonic devices without any problems.

Help
Move-On-uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2024, 10:55 AM   #2
Platinum Member

SAM -

This from Amazon's BOT (US varient);
Quote:
The product information shows this TV has 10 watts of speaker output power and averages around 40 watts of power consumption. A customer review also mentions it draws 19 watts, which is low for RV use.
The SPECS show 65 Watts listed as power requirement. But it does require 110V (again US). The UK Amazon has a number of these inverters. I guess you are running through an inverter - not directly from solar.

Let me offer a few educated guesses about your situation. I'll use my 3C's to try and explain what I would look at.
1. Consumption. Inverters have an efficiency rating. Could be as low as 85%. That suggests you'd probably need a 100 Watt inverter just for the Smart TV. Inverters create heat (inefficiency) and may be powering other devices simultaneously. A large inverter and additional "users" could explain the power consumption. If you have access to a smaller inverter and ran it from your solar array/charging system to the TV only, perhaps might have better luck. Something to consider. [I see some on the UK A>Z, but you'd want to bypass the battery operated cigarette lighter if it is wired to the battery bank to test.]

2. Charging. Solar panels have an efficiency rating as well as a number of factors regarding installation that can cause reduced output; cooling, age, mounting, connections, etc.. These issues could explain reduced charging. I understand you are trying to run an inverter from the solar panels, which can be done. But to keep from discharging the battery, there needs to be sufficient capacity in the solar array to account for these inefficiencies. The panels charging the electronic devices and running interior lights would be 12 sources - yes? Are these wired directly to the solar charging system?

3. Capacity. If the charging output is less than the consumption, then the battery bank will be used to run the TV. I am assuming the wiring is from solar to battery to TV (inverter, etc.) until it is depeleted. Age, size and type of battery bank can be factors to review.
For over 30 years we had solar panels on our sailboat. The only shading we ever experienced was cloud cover, sail shadow, or when in storage/maintenance "on the hard." In our RT we now seek shade, and have chosen to forgo the addition of solar to our rig. Its addition would slightly increase weight and drag (increasing fuel consumption). And, when underway, the large alternator obviates any additonal charging solar panels could provide.

I've tried to give a broad overview/simple breakdown for you to consider when trouble shooting. Best of luck.

BTW - Photos and diagrams of the setup help, and are always appreciated!
Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2024, 04:11 PM   #3
Platinum Member

https://www.samsung.com/africa_en/tv...a32t5300auxly/ - 59W Max. I have 300W solar panels, 230 Ah 12V batteries, 100W LG projector and it works just fine. Knowing your numbers as mine above should give you a clue.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2024, 11:52 AM   #4

Hi Jim

Thanks for taking the time to explain this in simple terms and for digging out the info, and power consumption stats. Yes, we are using a leisure battery and power inverter.

I’ll take a closer look at the inverter. Could be an issue there as you have pointed out. May be stressing out the unit by runninglights and tv at the same time. As for the solar panels. Not sure what you mean by 12 sources. The panels are wired to a control unit that regulates the charging. This then runs to the leisure battery. I think this is a pretty standard setup for an rv solar power system.

I’ve been reading up on using solar energy to run a tv and it is absolutely possible to so. Simple article on it over here - running tv using rv solar panels. It looks like there may be a weakness on our system, as you’ve explained. Either the inverter is not fit for purpose and not generating enough AC power. Or, the panels themselves are yielding an unusually low output and not delivering sufficient charge to the battery.
Move-On-uP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar panels, solar power, television