Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2024, 05:51 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Thanks for that link. That really puts into perspective the peltier-based coolers.
Just because they sell them, doesn't mean they're any good. Haha!

I realize I was grasping at straws. I'm about to undertake a complete suspension replacement as well as the infamous Dodge plenum gasket replacement, all before our roadtrip planned for early October. The fridge dying was not something I was prepared to tackle at this point. I'm so glad it started working again.

12V RV refrigerators is a sector that has much room for competitors. I wish some company would hop on it and make a low-cost replacement for all the failing Dometic 2310-sized fridges out there. The Bodegacooler looks like a possible contender, but so far they almost seem like vaporware. I finally saw a few photos of the actual fridge from someone selling one on offer-up, otherwise I would have thought they didn't exist outside of marketing materials.
The Eyesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 08:18 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eyesore View Post
Thanks for that link. That really puts into perspective the peltier-based coolers.
Just because they sell them, doesn't mean they're any good. Haha!

I realize I was grasping at straws. I'm about to undertake a complete suspension replacement as well as the infamous Dodge plenum gasket replacement, all before our roadtrip planned for early October. The fridge dying was not something I was prepared to tackle at this point. I'm so glad it started working again.

12V RV refrigerators is a sector that has much room for competitors. I wish some company would hop on it and make a low-cost replacement for all the failing Dometic 2310-sized fridges out there. The Bodegacooler looks like a possible contender, but so far they almost seem like vaporware. I finally saw a few photos of the actual fridge from someone selling one on offer-up, otherwise I would have thought they didn't exist outside of marketing materials.

You may want to look at the new, Energy Star, dorm frigs as they are getting into the efficiency range of the Danfoss marine/RV frigs. They will be 120v but small pure sine wave inverter will run them easily. Of course the warning that has always been that reliability may not be great for a product that is designed to be in a stationary building goes bouncing down the road for long periods. I have not, however heard of lots of failures of the dorm frigs, much to my surpise.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 04:17 AM   #23
Platinum Member

I think that is really good advice and, if/when I end up needing a new fridge, that is the route I'll go.

Funny, after searching all the RV fridges, reading reviews and checking prices, I was already considering that option. Dorm fridges are a dime a dozen. I'd rather spend the money on more battery and a good invertor.
Old 09-24-2024, 04:24 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
...I wish him well on this, but my guess is that is 50/50 that it lasts over a year based on what I have seen over time.
I finally found reviews on it and based upon the reviews, I think that your one year guess was overly-optimistic.

https://www.amazon.com/product-revie...ews-filter-bar
Old 09-26-2024, 04:51 PM   #25
Bronze Member

Default Compressor refrigerator

I’ve reviewed a few different compressor refrigerators. They work great! I had one in my RT for years. They sip energy. I’ve finally settled on a Novakool RM 4500. I’ll never look back. Larger than the original and stays the exact same temp you set out at no matter the heat outside. I love it. I do have 200w of solar and 200amps of lithium batteries.
The. Portable compressor fridges are much cheaper and work very well also.
Here is a review I did on a Chinese model. I’ve also reviewed Iceco models too. Hope this helps.
Vecys CR 60 12v/110v compressor refrigerator review
https://youtu.be/FnlMMhDUjy4
honeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2024, 10:02 PM   #26
Bronze Member

We have a 97 RT 170.
The original fridge works well on all three power options.
While camping using 120 v it will often freeze vegetables while thermostat is on middle settings.

To supplement the limited size we have always used a kooolatron for fruit, drinks etc.
While driving this is run off 12 v like the fridge and while camping we have the 120 v adaptor.
We have found the koolatron to work very well for our needs.
We have had 2 units , one that is like the one pictured which uses a heat sink and our current one that is tall and skinny ( fits our space better). This one simply uses a fan to cool.
Both worked well and we were pleased with them.
Original unit is used now by my niece who cleaned the plate and says it works very well.

Mike Bee
97 RT P170
Formerly 89 Westy
Mike Bee is offline   Reply With Quote