Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2024, 09:52 PM   #1

Default Replacement for Webasto system in 2013 Roadtrek E-trek?

We love our E-trek, but the Webasto hot water heating/camper heating system has never worked well, even after having it fixed. We would like to remove it and replace it with a different heat source (we don't have propane). Amazon sells a Webasto diesel heating system that doesn't heat water that we would like to try - link here:
https://www.amazon.com/installation-...zcF9hdGY&psc=1
If we did this, any ideas on what to do to heat water? Looking for a 12 volt point of use water heater. Has anyone switched from Webasto to any other system successfully?
Busybrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2024, 05:09 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I opted for separate heating of space using Espar Airtronics D2 and water heating using Espar Hydronic D5 with Isotemp Marine water heater also called calorifier in Europe. If you have time you can scan through my thread https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...threads/21773/ but is long.

Space heating is great, quiet and efficient, water heating is fast, a little noisy at startup but 15 min of heating keeps water hot for hours. With shore power available Isotemp has built in 750W heater, so it is slower than 5kW from D5 but continous.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2024, 03:40 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Building on the previous response, I’d contact Rixens Enterprises in Sandy, OR and ask them about converting to an Espar diesel heat and on-demand hot water system. Small biz, nice people, very helpful and knowledgeable.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2024, 03:45 PM   #4
Site Team

Add my vote for an Espar furnace. We have had both heat and hot water on Rixen's hydronic systems in both our previous (diesel) and our current (gasoline) vans. There is pretty much nothing not to like.

Rixen's is relatively expensive, but it is a fully-worked-out system and their support is beyond great. If money is a major issue, a DIY system is certainly possible. Proper installation is a necessity, though, or you will not get reliable operation.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric heat, electric water heater, roadtrek e-trek, webasto