Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2024, 08:54 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Need advice on speaker locations.

Need advice on speaker locations.
05pleasureway 04chevy express 3500. no on star.

What location are you installing speakers. I prefer the pass. Side seat be turned backwards. (When there’s a passenger she sits on the sleeper sofa)Doing this covers the audio from the pass. Side front.
The driver side could be installed low in door where the oem speakers are but not a desirable location.
Here’s locations I’m considering.

also some ppl say grinding the ledge inside radio cavitiy isn't required oem radio is 6.25" deep the AVIC is just over 8" apparently I'll need to grind off almost 2".

Here’s the 2.1 sys. componets
2009 Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT
JBL 6.5 componets 3 ohm sound excellent no amp required w/ excellent effiency.
Pioneer 8” 2ohm sub 250watts RMS inside 2000 chevy Tahoe enclosure I think it’s ½ cubic foot.
Rockford Fosgate Sub amp. Mounted behind driver seat Rockford Fosgate R2-500X1 Prime 500-Watt Mono Amplifier turned
Not using wiring adaptor will run new 14 gauge speaker wire. Will use thicker antenna coax.
thanks for good advice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front pass high blasting passenger.jpg (215.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg front driver over head2.jpg (179.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg front driver over head.jpg (162.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg home made pass. front2.jpg (322.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg home made pass. front.jpg (54.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg sub on floor half covered2.jpg (69.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg preferred sub location high2.jpg (63.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg pioneer sub an specs.jpg (203.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg AVIC Z.jpg (62.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg mounting head unit requires 2inchs of grinding.jpg (156.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-02-2024, 01:23 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Coming from a person who appreciates car audio (I have four Infinity subwoofers in my Kia soul), I concluded that trying to outfit a camper van with a decent audio system is simply futile. Instead, I removed the radio head unit altogether and repurposed the space for a couple of handy gauges (see pics). For music, I picked up a JBL PartyBox100 which connects to my phone by Bluetooth and does a remarkable job of filling the van with bass-heavy music.

The bonus of this set up is:
1) I can also utilize the speaker outside of the van while BBQing or whatever.
2) I don’t have a car stereo to be stolen.
3) No installation required (I can focus my energy on other areas of the van).
4) I can run it for about 6-8 hours without needing to worry about draining the van battery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4580.jpg (231.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4581.jpg (215.0 KB, 1 views)
The Eyesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 01:46 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eyesore View Post
Coming from a person who appreciates car audio (I have four Infinity subwoofers in my Kia soul), I concluded that trying to outfit a camper van with a decent audio system is simply futile. Instead, I removed the radio head unit altogether and repurposed the space for a couple of handy gauges (see pics). For music, I picked up a JBL PartyBox100 which connects to my phone by Bluetooth and does a remarkable job of filling the van with bass-heavy music.

The bonus of this set up is:
1) I can also utilize the speaker outside of the van while BBQing or whatever.
2) I don’t have a car stereo to be stolen.
3) No installation required (I can focus my energy on other areas of the van).
4) I can run it for about 6-8 hours without needing to worry about draining the van battery.
I use the same blue tooth speaker technology w/ the orginal ozt angle 3 a much smaller version charge lasts a fews day if conservative w/ volume an a tablet in my ocean cruiser
however the AVIC is much more than a car radio. it's the best stereo pioneer ever made now they make crap from overseas.
stereo/Nav/MP3 player input w/ flash drive/SD card I pod or video in. plays dvds I don't have but also plays windows7 media center WTV files video out to a larger screen. all this voice controlled hands free calling ect. there's a reason pioneer was selling them for $1800. back in 09. I've only bench tested the AVIC w/ one of my new speakers an it sounds amazing. will sound better after it's installed an get the speakers sorted out properly.

I just hope it's not stolen. I look at it this way it's a old van who puts an expensive sys, in a vehcle like this. so I fly under the radar an I certainly don't cruise around the neighborhood blasting tunes.
after the install windows will be ecthed like my other vehcles.
since your a expert on mobil audio pls add your 2 cent to my install plans. thanks
Old 04-03-2024, 07:40 AM   #4
Platinum Member

You know what would be cool? Build a ghetto blaster around that head unit. It would be kinda heavy, but you could build it to fit nicely somewhere in your van (like that overhead compartment maybe) and then you could schlep it outside the van for BBQ's etc. It wouldn't necessarily have to have it's own battery power, could be tethered to the van by a cord for the 12v. Your sub and amp could be in a separate portable enclosure. Not a fan of slim subs because of their inherant poor xmax, but to be honest, for a portable setup, a slim sub might be kind of ideal.

The added bonus is you could remove that stuff to put in your home when the van is parked.
Old 04-03-2024, 07:49 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Look what I found!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=AjmNAuwH8gw

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 00-46-56 DIY Car Stereo Boom Box.png