Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old Today, 07:42 PM   #1
KHD

Default Macerator?

I am a new van owner, of an old camper (2012)...just learning all of its parts.
The macerator use is something I am having trouble finding help with.
The water center wall where the switches and dump tank hose (for macerator) are located is rusty and no labels exist any longer.
There are two switches: one is an intermittent switch (must hold on) and one is on/off .
They are (per the manual) supposed to be for water pump and waste pump....but how do I figure out which is for what??
Ideas???
KHD
KHD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:41 PM   #2
Platinum Member

First, welcome to the forum. And second, many of us here don't consider a '2012 camper to be "old".

It would be helpful to provide more information on your make and model of rv, plus a few pics would also help.

Since macerators are not supposed to be run after tanks are emptied (will damage the rubber impeller if allowed to run dry) and water pumps are designed to be left on for long periods (the pump will only run as needed to maintain water pressure), my guess would be the intermittent switch is for the macerator and the on switch is for your fresh water pump.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:14 PM   #3
KHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
First, welcome to the forum. And second, many of us here don't consider a '2012 camper to be "old".

It would be helpful to provide more information on your make and model of rv, plus a few pics would also help.

Since macerators are not supposed to be run after tanks are emptied (will damage the rubber impeller if allowed to run dry) and water pumps are designed to be left on for long periods (the pump will only run as needed to maintain water pressure), my guess would be the intermittent switch is for the macerator and the on switch is for your fresh water pump.
Thank you for responding!! And the nice Welcome!! I am happy with my 12 yr old camper thus far....I am sure there are older ones out there 😀

The picture is of the water system center on the drivers side of my 2012 Era sprinter van (no slideouts) 24 ft long.
It is my handwritten notes and info from the manual. The switch labels water pump is the one that works intermittently, and the waste pump works as an on/off. I think maybe (as you have suggested) that they are actually opposite.
If so, then you must hold the waste switch , with the water pump switch "on", in order to dump the black tank??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240919_190155.jpg (133.9 KB, 0 views)
KHD is online now   Reply With Quote