Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2024, 08:48 PM   #1

Default Low Flame from RV propane

When I connect my Blackstone to my Pleasureway the flame is very low. Yes I have removed the regulator from the Blackstone and there is plenty or propane and the gas water heater works. The Blackstone works fine with the small bottle but just can't run off RV.
kml123@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2024, 08:58 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kml123@gmail.com View Post
When I connect my Blackstone to my Pleasureway the flame is very low. Yes I have removed the regulator from the Blackstone and there is plenty or propane and the gas water heater works. The Blackstone works fine with the small bottle but just can't run off RV.

If it works well on the bottles, you have a high pressure grille and your Pleasure-way take off point is most likely after the regulator to the van like most other vans are. High pressure grilles don't work well on low pressure, including some that the regulator doesn't take the pressure all the way to low pressure on the grille. If they are not going all the way to low pressure removing the regulator won't help much.

Generally going to low pressure will require a size change to the gas orifice to the burner to a much larger hole in it. Some propane camping stoves and grilles also have a brillo pad looking flashback arrestor in them that can drop flow to much on low pressure.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2024, 11:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
If it works well on the bottles, you have a high pressure grille and your Pleasure-way take off point is most likely after the regulator to the van like most other vans are. High pressure grilles don't work well on low pressure, including some that the regulator doesn't take the pressure all the way to low pressure on the grille. If they are not going all the way to low pressure removing the regulator won't help much.

Generally going to low pressure will require a size change to the gas orifice to the burner to a much larger hole in it. Some propane camping stoves and grilles also have a brillo pad looking flashback arrestor in them that can drop flow to much on low pressure.
The hose/adapter I purchased is reportedly used on my exact griddle by others with glowing results.
kml123@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2024, 01:55 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kml123@gmail.com View Post
The hose/adapter I purchased is reportedly used on my exact griddle by others with glowing results.

But, have they used it on the same model RV and in the same condition as yours?

Some RVs run low pressure (approx 11" water) and some run high, full tank, pressure (around psi). One manufacturer, Roadtrek decided to run a second regulator to run at "reduced high pressure". They said it was 15 psi, but ours was at 10 psi. I replaced the regulator with another from Roadtrek and it then ran at the same 10 psi.

It would help if you can find a propane plumbing diagram or call Pleasure-way and find out what pressure the point where you are getting the propane out is supposed to run at. Any propane products shop will also be able to measure the pressure at the connection for you and help find out what is going on.
Old 09-15-2024, 02:14 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Here is a quote from the Ontour owners manual about the BBQ connection.

Quote:
The BBQ quick connect is directly connected to the RV LP system.
It is equipped with it’s own shut-off valve (black handle). The
quick connect is a regulated (low pressure) LP line that is supplied
from the onboard LP tank. The BBQ quick connect works with the
standard, full-flow male quick connect fitting. You will need a BBQ
that is set-up for a low pressure LP source.
This would indicate you have a low pressure connection on the van.

Now the question is if you have the right adapters and hose to run the Blackstone model you have.

A call to Blackstone might clear it all up for you, as they probably have had the same question many times in the past as it happens all the time on grills that are made to run on tank pressure, like at home, but then are used in an RV.

What are model/part number for the parts you are using? Same for Blackstone as there may be a low pressure conversion kit for it. There may be specs posted somewhere online as to what they are designed to use for.

Long hoses on low pressure LP connections can sometimes be an issue as the pressure drop in the long hose makes it not deliver enough gas to get a decent flame. I have seen a lot recommendations by the RV manufacturers to limit hose to 6' max length.

On edit--there may be a simple overflow valve tripped as some hose/fittings have them built in now days.

It would give you what you are seeing but not affect any other appliances.

I think the reset procedure is the same as for in tank valves, so it might be worth a try.

Turn off lp at the tank.

Release the pressure in the system by turning on the grill.

Wait 15+ seconds.

Turn off the grille and any other propane things running.

Very slowly open gas valve on the tank, with the hose shutoff valve open but the grill off.

Test.

The 90* valve on the hoses (we have one) are way easy to open to quickly and a long hose will use enough volume to the the overflow protector. I always turn on the hose valve first and slowly open the tank valve second.