Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2024, 02:17 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Leaf Springs removal?

Has anyone had to remove rear leaf springs to replace the spring and shackle bushings? My original bushings are shot and it looks like all the tanks have to be removed to do this job. 2017 Roadtrek 170 Versatile on Chevy Express platform. Thanks! Joe
jojobafanzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 06:23 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I have a 02C200P so different animal. I removed the grey and black tanks, not an easy job then paid a shop to replace the leaf springs.

Best price I found for springs and parts, FREE DELIVERY to a local Chevy dealer and FREE no hassle returns. Note, some of sellers will give you a estimated deliver price!

https://parts.chevrolet.com/
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 04:51 PM   #3
Silver Member

Both booster and I have removed a leaf and added airbags with bump stops. For the 210, no tank removal was necessary. But IIRC booster has a 190 so hopefully he will see this and chime in. There is a related thread on this site with more details but I can't immediately find it.

Just in case my sig does not show up:

2006 Chevy 210 Versatile
2006 Roadtrek 210 Versatile, 400W Solar, 320AH LiFePO4. Suspension mods: Front: Moog 81004 coil springs. Rear: SuperSteer Track Bar, AirLift airbags with integrated bump stop, 2" lift blocks, removed overload leafs. All around: Bilsteins, 265-75R16 K02's
Luv2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 06:13 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Go View Post
Both booster and I have removed a leaf and added airbags with bump stops. For the 210, no tank removal was necessary. But IIRC booster has a 190 so hopefully he will see this and chime in. There is a related thread on this site with more details but I can't immediately find it.

2006 Chevy 210 Versatile
Thanks for taking interest. I have been asking around my area and there is a custom shop about 15 minutes away that does restorations and modifications. I am going to give the shop a call on Monday. I crawled under the van today and it looks to me that the tanks can stay in place. Fender liner can be cut for access for wrenches and reinstalled after. I think the regular auto shops are not equipped for and have no desire for custom jobs. They just want the easy stuff and I don't blame them. Joe
Old 06-25-2024, 10:53 AM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Go View Post

2006 Chevy 210 Versatile
Good morning. Can you explain why you did the suspension modifications? Curious. My Roadtrek Versatile 170 is an ill handling beast. Thanks in advance. Joe
Old 06-25-2024, 11:01 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobafanzi View Post
Good morning. Can you explain why you did the suspension modifications? Curious. My Roadtrek Versatile 170 is an ill handling beast. Thanks in advance. Joe

The 190s and 210s tend to be sitting on the big overload leaf in the rear spring packs. The 2500 model 170s might not even have that overload leaf, though.

Because they sit on a very high rate spring, the ride in the rear can be quite harsh and noisy if the springs slap into the overload. Bridge transitions seem to be the worst places for it to show up, for instance.

Removing the overload leaf and picking up the weight it was carrying with and much lower spring rate air bag smooths out the ride in the rear significantly. It increases the spring travel so vertical motion increases some, but it is a smooth motion that it much more palatable to many people. You do loose a bit of sway control though because of the loss of stiffness, so a rear sway bar addition, or a bigger rear sway bar if you already have one (which we did), might be needed to get better sway control. Most people would probably not notice any change in handling even without the sway bar though, I think.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 11:56 AM   #7
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The 190s and 210s tend to be sitting on the big overload leaf in the rear spring packs. The 2500 model 170s might not even have that overload leaf, though.

Most people would probably not notice any change in handling even without the sway bar though, I think.
I don't think I have overload springs and there is definitely no rear sway bar in place. I'm thinking I need to keep that rear from moving side to side. I'll try to include pictures of the spring pack and what I believe to be a bad spring eye bushing. I'm really interested in what mods have been done to a 170 versatile and if it worked. I definitely need to order something or perhaps let the shop order it when I drop it off in a few weeks. Thanks in advance and thank you for taking interest on this issue. Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chevy express roadtrek alignment.JPG (120.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg rt leaf spring.jpg (137.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg rt spring bushing.jpg (127.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-25-2024, 01:02 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobafanzi View Post
I don't think I have overload springs and there is definitely no rear sway bar in place. I'm thinking I need to keep that rear from moving side to side. I'll try to include pictures of the spring pack and what I believe to be a bad spring eye bushing. I'm really interested in what mods have been done to a 170 versatile and if it worked. I definitely need to order something or perhaps let the shop order it when I drop it off in a few weeks. Thanks in advance and thank you for taking interest on this issue. Joe

The alignment specs don't look bad at all, except for the toe out of the rear that is not desirable but you can't do anything about it without bending the rear axle.

You do have overload leaf in your springs. It is the bottom 3/4"+ thickness one. You are one leaf less of the thin ones, though, compared to the 3500 vans.

That appears to be a shackle bushing? I don't see any deteriorated rubber on it but is pulled in a bit. Is it loose if the axle is nearly hanging but weight of axle off with a floor jack?

What are you seeing that makes you think you have to keep the axle from moving side to side? 210s would probably have nearly 2000# more in the rear than a 170 and 190s could also be that high but not commonly. We just don't see side to side axle movement in the Chevies, even high mile ones with original spring bushings.

I would suggest that maybe the moderators could put this and the other or your similar thread together so the information and pix are all in one place. I think that would be better for all us and future readers.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote