Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2024, 05:32 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Inches to degrees (levelling)

I need to convert inches to degrees when levelling my Roadtrek 170.The info is hard to find and sometimes contradictory.
Probably because the result depends on at least 1 variable - the distance between wheels (or width of the vehicle).
The closest info I found is this :

https://community.goodsam.com/t5/tec...on/td-p/770120

(see the attachment).

But the width of my RT is not 8 feet (6 ft 7 in) and I am not good at trigonometry.
So I could use your help.

Please,post here the ready results for the corresponding degrees from 1 to 5 in (if possible, include 0.5 values (1 ,1.5, 2, 2.5 etc).

I have no idea if the calculations in the attachment are the right one.That is the only one I found.

P.S .Though according to the formula 3° is about 5 in but Beech Lane device marks anything over 1 in orange and over 3 red (as in level of trouble).

And though I do have levelling blocks (wedges) for correction it is often uneven both front to back and side to side ,so it is always something that could not be corrected further.
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture+_2024-08-21-21-54-31.png (159.2 KB, 6 views)
RT1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 10:39 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT1997 View Post
I need to convert inches to degrees when levelling my Roadtrek 170.The info is hard to find and sometimes contradictory.
Probably because the result depends on at least 1 variable - the distance between wheels (or width of the vehicle).
The closest info I found is this :

https://community.goodsam.com/t5/tec...on/td-p/770120

(see the attachment).

But the width of my RT is not 8 feet (6 ft 7 in) and I am not good at trigonometry.
So I could use your help.

Please,post here the ready results for the corresponding degrees from 1 to 5 in (if possible, include 0.5 values (1 ,1.5, 2, 2.5 etc).

I have no idea if the calculations in the attachment are the right one.That is the only one I found.

P.S .Though according to the formula 3° is about 5 in but Beech Lane device marks anything over 1 in orange and over 3 red (as in level of trouble).

And though I do have levelling blocks (wedges) for correction it is often uneven both front to back and side to side ,so it is always something that could not be corrected further.

It gets a lot easier if you don't use the arc length and then another calculation back to the change in two dimensions.

The change will occur on an arc, but for low angles, and for something like leveling which isn't super critical, I would just use regular two dimensional right angle trigonometry

Doing it that way you use the conversion of .017" of change vertically for every inch of horizontal distance for every degree which is pretty close for small angles.

So you get for the 79" width

3degrees X .017" X 79 = 4.029"

If I do calc off of the link example, they got 5.026" for 3* at 96"

Doing calc as I did it would 3 X .017 X 96 = 4.896

That is within .13" or 1/8" and you level in 1" increments and have suspension and sway bars mucking up the movement besides so insignificant in the real world.

The very digital levels are accurate to about +/- .03 degrees or so, but the typical ones you buy for under $50 are somewhere in the +/- .2 to .3 degrees, so you have about 10% either way for 3% of error which is nearly 1/2" at you width and 3%. Much more than the calc estimation error.

I always remind users that the digital measuring tools are usually nowhere near the accuracy they display inferred by the number of digits. Many levels display two digits after the decimal point but are only accurate to .3 of one digit. Digital calipers commonly display to 3 digits after the decimal and sometimes even 4 digits and many of them are only accurate to +/- .002" or so. The digital stuff does tend to repeat measurements a lot better than the accuracy so the +/- .3 degrees could easily repeat to .1 degree or better on the same measurement.

The easy way to check a digital level, or bubble level, is on a fairly level surface. Check it with the level in one place and note the reading, turn the level around 180 degrees in and measure the exact same point (I mark with tape) and measure it again. Only the sign + or - of the angle should change and any difference is error times 2 plus placement error.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 12:50 PM   #3
Platinum Member

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ition&hl=en_US
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 03:40 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Booster, I hope your amazing post will be useful for many people.When I said that I am not good at trigonometry I REALLY meant that.
That is why I asked to post the concrete inch to degree results for RT 170 or similar class B with the same width.

Jjrbus -does the app show level in degrees and does it take into account the vehicle dimentions?
My Beech Lane permanently mounted device already comes with software but the level displayed in inches.It is a very good device and all I need is to interpret the results in degrees.
Old 08-22-2024, 07:36 PM   #5
Platinum Member

download the Truma app which has a leveling function ( free) just entire your wheelbase.

I used to use the free RVcompanion lite app but the Truma is slightly better

IF you have a pleasure way, some models need to be parked slightly nose high to keep rain or condensate water from pooling at the AC and leaking past the seals- that's in the manual
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 10:19 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Does the app shows level in degrees?
Old 08-23-2024, 12:12 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Booster, I hope your amazing post will be useful for many people.When I said that I am not good at trigonometry I REALLY meant that.
That is why I asked to post the concrete inch to degree results for RT 170 or similar class B with the same width.

Jjrbus -does the app show level in degrees and does it take into account the vehicle dimentions?
My Beech Lane permanently mounted device already comes with software but the level displayed in inches.It is a very good device and all I need is to interpret the results in degrees.
There are many apps that will do what you want, down load a few and experiment with them. This one will tell you how many inch's you need to raise each tire to be level. I think it does show degrees but have not paid attention as it is not needed information.
Old 08-23-2024, 06:20 AM   #8
Platinum Member

For me it is much needed information since Dometic fridge requirements are in degrees,not inches.
Of course,if you have the option to level perfectly it would mot matter - inches or degrees.
But if you off level 7 inches and can only correct it to 4 inches it is important to know how much in degrees .
Old 08-23-2024, 02:06 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
For me it is much needed information since Dometic fridge requirements are in degrees,not inches.
Of course,if you have the option to level perfectly it would mot matter - inches or degrees.
But if you off level 7 inches and can only correct it to 4 inches it is important to know how much in degrees .
Interesting, my newer Dometic fridge manual states RV needs to be level enough to comfortably walk in and shows no degrees.

With the cost of refrigerators I understand your concern. Again there are many leveling apps RV and level apps that will give you the info you need. Need to find one that you are comfortable with.

I think this is the one I use but not to level RV https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...level&hl=en_US
Old 08-23-2024, 03:53 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
Interesting, my newer Dometic fridge manual states RV needs to be level enough to comfortably walk in and shows no degrees.

this is also my experience- for my old dometic.

as mentioned above some Pleasure Way models suggest the van be slightly nose up to prevent water pooling by the AC
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2024, 05:08 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
this is also my experience- for my old dometic.

as mentioned above some Pleasure Way models suggest the van be slightly nose up to prevent water pooling by the AC

My Roadtrek also needs to be nose up to prevent AC condensate leaking into the cabin. I have found the nose can be up to 3 inch down before it becomes a problem. Nose also needs to be elevated for water to drain from shower. Shower drain in the middle of a flat floor, sheer genius.
Old 08-23-2024, 05:18 PM   #12
Platinum Member

How are people using the leveling apps when the phones have camera lenses sticking out the back so the sit angled and some aren't even stable.
Old 08-23-2024, 06:31 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
How are people using the leveling apps when the phones have camera lenses sticking out the back so the sit angled and some aren't even stable.
In the past I use phone cases with opening for lenses so lenses didn’t protrude. Since having a compressor fridge levelling is not critical.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2024, 06:39 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Good question, I have a silicone phone case so the len's do not protrude. Without the silicone case the phone is sliding around.

https://www.amazon.com/Shockproof-Si...1zcF9hdGY&th=1
Old 08-23-2024, 08:42 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Could we,please not change the subject?
There is a thread on levelling devices with discussion on apps and such.
I really need the answer on converting inches to degrees.

P.S. BTW, my app just DISPLAYS what the calibrated Beech Lane wireless device establishes .Camera lenses on the phone are not involved at all.

(See the info in the thread about level measuring tools.)

I am going to email Dometic.Not much hope to reach their engineering team for conversion help.
It is good if newer Dometic fridges are less sensitive.RM 2310 has to follow 3°/6° rule.

And BTW, there are posts on other forums from people who deeply regret relying on "walking comfortable" rule.
Probably,old fridge owners.
I am trying to prolong the life of RM 2310 because the newer model does require cabinets modification despite being listed as direct replacement.And it is a nightmare for me. For many skillful members here "burping" the fridge and other adjustments is a piece of cake.
I am still recovering after propane tank installation horror.

So PLEASE , help me if you can with comversion results .
Old 08-23-2024, 09:30 PM   #16
Platinum Member

You got the conversion in the second post, I thought.

Remember that there is no direct conversion because they are different things. You have to know the distance along the angle to get the inches of height. So you need degrees and inches together to get the inches you want. Degrees by themselves are useless without the wheelbase and track dimensions.
Old 08-23-2024, 10:12 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Booster,I am very grateful for that post.
But as I said it is too technical for me.

Could you calculate ,please the degrees values for RT 170 and post them as I described?
The width is 6 ft 7 in.

I am not lazy,just trigonometrically challenged )):
Old 08-23-2024, 10:50 PM   #18
Platinum Member

The width you give is for whole van it appears.

The wheel center width is about 68"

Wheelbase is 135"

One degree equals .017" X 135" front to rear or about 2 1/4"

One degree side to side equals .017" X 68" or about 1 1/8"

So 1 degree is 2 1/4" front to rear and 1 1/8" side to side

2 degrees is 4 1/2" front to rear and 2 1/4" side to side

3 degrees is 6 3/4" front to rear and 3 3/8" side to side

Since you level in 1" steps this is plenty close with max about 1/4" error over trigging it out.
Old 08-23-2024, 11:01 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Issue with not levelled absorption fridges is often discussed, it is accumulative failure due to the lack levelling so as long you stay as level as possible within your means the life of the fridge will be longer, no one will tell you how long.

I am not certain about your question and especially the need for the answer.

See the calculator for a right-angle triangle.

https://www.calculator.net/right-tri...alculator.html

As Booster wrote, you need 2 data points to calculate either angle (alpha) or height (a):
input “a” and “b” to get the angle “alpha” or input “alpha” and “b” to get the “a”
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2024, 11:12 PM   #20
Platinum Member

20 years ago I tried to use degree's, no verifiable answers and a waste of time.