Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2024, 10:09 PM   #1

Default How long a dump hose?

I'm the new owner of a 2000 Roadtrek 190P, which I know (I was told...) needs a new black/greywater dump hose. I've read a number of owner reports on the replacement process, and it sounds easy enough.

My question is about the length and type of the hose. I gather that it's great to have a hose extension in case the dump spot is somewhat distant, and I see that there are hose units on Amazon like the Camco RhinoEXTREME 20-foot hose that comes with two 10-foot sections and a center twist/lock joint. But I'm not sure the center joint will fit into the RoadTrek hose storage.

I also read in some of the replacement "how to" threads that 20 feet of sturdy hose may not fit into the standard RoadTrek holder.

My question is whether I should buy a single length of sturdy hose and shorten it if necessary to get it to fit, or whether a two-piece hose is a good idea. I am not that thrilled about having to store a used length of hose every time I dump the tank.

I'm open to advice and suggestions about what to do in replacing the dump hose. Thanks in advance.
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 10:25 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I came from a 36’ DP and was used to a 15’ hose. My Era came with a 6’ hose. I remember thinking this must be a joke. Wrong. First the Class B is much more maneuverable so it’s easy to get close. Second, there is much less hose to squeeze out after dumping. Six feet works fine for us.
magicbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 12:59 AM   #3
Site Team

If you really care about long-distance dumping, I would recommend converting to a macerator system, which lets you use 1" stretchy hose. Some people even use flat roll-up "fire hose". You can easily do 50' or even 100' that way. Far more sanitary as well.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 03:03 AM   #4
Bronze Member

Hi,
I did both, I installed a Valterra 26" A04-0150XBK EZ Hose Carrier under the van, so I can have two 10 foot hoses. I strapped it to one that came on the van.

I also have a macerator, that works great but must be washed after each use.

(I also installed a Thetford 33205 Holding Tank for Cassette Toilets in a box under my van so I can dump my black tank into it and then dump this into pit toilets or rest station toilets. But that me, wanted best of all types)
Dave-DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 06:54 PM   #5

Good info here. After reading the above, I'm becoming inclined to order a single 15 foot length of stout dump hose and trust my ability to maneuver the van - which I'm very comfortable with.

I'm not sure whether I should order a Rhino with their clear 90 degree elbow on the dump end, as I don't think that will lock into place on the Roadtrek's hose holder. However, I could remove the 90 degree fitting and install the stock Roadtrek dump hose cap.

Do you folks use those telescoping or multi-piece hose support kits to slope the hose when dumping?
Old 04-07-2024, 07:13 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I have used the standard length hose on my RT for 17 years now (replaced it once several yers ago) and never had a problem dumping. A standard elbow fits on the end of the hose and works well. An my RT, the corrugated hose fits back into the storage tube and the cover locks in place. Anything longer will not fit. I think the long hoses are for campsites that have individual dumps for semi-permanent camping.
Old 04-11-2024, 04:15 PM   #7
otr
Gold Member

ditto here, we have a 2000 190V, has the hose it came with (bought it used in 2018 ) we have not needed a longer one, accordions nicely into it's carrying tube.
We bought an elbow, not clear, clear is not really necessary as you will know when it is done emptying. Generally there is enough slope when we dump it to not even use the eblow, just bend the hose into the pipe, black first, then gray and it is pretty clean, you can dump a bucket of water down the sink it you want to clear it more.
The 1st couple of times dumping it are the most stressful....I replaced the drain valves last fall, stress was greater than the challenge!
otr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 05:05 PM   #8

Just add another hose holder and put it next to the other one
kml123@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 06:18 PM   #9
Gold Member

My 1998 190’s permanently fixed hose is quite short and has a quick connect with a cap on it. That’s how I got it. I have to remove the cap and attach a 6’ hose with quick connect and an elbow. I can get really close to a dump hole, but not close enough.

Seeing this thread, I’m curious how to replace the built-in segment of telescoping hose so that I don’t have to carry the 6’ piece in a bin in my storage box. I’m gonna search these forums, but any links you folks have handy would be greatly appreciated. I see a little ‘dirty work’ in my future.
Anachr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 06:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
I'm the new owner of a 2000 Roadtrek 190P, which I know (I was told...) needs a new black/greywater dump hose. I've read a number of owner reports on the replacement process, and it sounds easy enough.

My question is about the length and type of the hose. I gather that it's great to have a hose extension in case the dump spot is somewhat distant, and I see that there are hose units on Amazon like the Camco RhinoEXTREME 20-foot hose that comes with two 10-foot sections and a center twist/lock joint. But I'm not sure the center joint will fit into the RoadTrek hose storage.

I also read in some of the replacement "how to" threads that 20 feet of sturdy hose may not fit into the standard RoadTrek holder.

My question is whether I should buy a single length of sturdy hose and shorten it if necessary to get it to fit, or whether a two-piece hose is a good idea. I am not that thrilled about having to store a used length of hose every time I dump the tank.

I'm open to advice and suggestions about what to do in replacing the dump hose. Thanks in advance.

Hi.

I did replace the dumping hose on my 2003 RT 190P a few years ago. I went with a 20 feet heavy gage dumping hose and cut the excess and add the proper connector to be able to fit it in the hose casing.

It almost always reached the dump pipe but I always had a 10 feet extension in case.
luclemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 06:54 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachr0n View Post
My 1998 190’s permanently fixed hose is quite short and has a quick connect with a cap on it. That’s how I got it. I have to remove the cap and attach a 6’ hose with quick connect and an elbow. I can get really close to a dump hole, but not close enough.

Seeing this thread, I’m curious how to replace the built-in segment of telescoping hose so that I don’t have to carry the 6’ piece in a bin in my storage box. I’m gonna search these forums, but any links you folks have handy would be greatly appreciated. I see a little ‘dirty work’ in my future.
My 1997 RT 190 has always had a 6' accordion type hose stored in the dump hose tube. The tube has a door that swings over the cap on the hose to secure it. If your tube only has a short section of hose in it, it is not difficult to replace it with the accordion type. For years, I carried an extra 6' length of hose, but never used it. Finally, I replaced the old hose when it developed holes with the extra one I was carrying.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:45 PM   #12

Good stuff here. I'm still deciding what hose to order, as the ones with ends already built on are clearly for connecting to and extending an existing hose. To replace the original I need a hose with no end so I can pull it over the outlet port/tube.

I have the length question resolved, so now I'll just look for good quality material and transfer the original RoadTrek end cap to the new hose.