Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2024, 12:25 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Horny question

Excuse the double entendre. The horn on my 2006 Roadtrek (Chevy 3500) is working intermittently. I'm assuming the problem is the contacts ... maybe they're getting oxidized? Anyone had any experience replacing this? Wondering how complicated it is to disassemble and reassemble the steering wheel column, and if one can buy a repair kit. Thanks!
alwechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2024, 12:35 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwechs View Post
Excuse the double entendre. The horn on my 2006 Roadtrek (Chevy 3500) is working intermittently. I'm assuming the problem is the contacts ... maybe they're getting oxidized? Anyone had any experience replacing this? Wondering how complicated it is to disassemble and reassemble the steering wheel column, and if one can buy a repair kit. Thanks!

I can't speak directly to the Chevy models, even though we have one, but in general you have to be extremely careful if you go in to do anything in the steering wheel if it has an airbag. Many have been triggered inadvertently that way.

The switch(es) is probably a membrane switch near where the horn indicators are on the steering wheel center area.

My guess would be that is probably also a relay that the switch runs so it would pay to check that our before tearing into the wheel.

If you have a factory service manual there should be all the warnings and how to properly disable and diffuse the airbag system. All are necessary.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2024, 02:03 AM   #3
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwechs View Post
The horn on my 05C210V was not working. Took it off-not working. Bought 2 horns from Amazon. Hooked up and still didn't work. There is a very good video out there concerning the contacts. Look up fixing horn on GMC/Chevy. Fixed mine this am. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2024, 06:32 PM   #4

Clockspring switch? Are there any other switches on the steering wheel that don't work? I had an intermittent horn issue on my Lexus and it was the clockspring switch.
jspringator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2024, 06:36 PM   #5
Gold Member

Here is the video I used to troubleshoot my horn.

Tags
chevy, horn, road trek, roadtrek