Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2023, 07:29 PM   #21
Platinum Member

I have two macerators. One on the upflow marine toilet explained in the video I recently posted and a second one to pump the contents from the black and grey tanks. I have no appreciable solids when it reaches the black tank. Makes for surer and easier waste dumping and doesn't tax the second macerater. The other advantage is I'm not constricted by the toilet placement because of the black tank which is typically 10-12 gallons so I got a gigantic (for a Class B) 25 gallon black tank.

I like our Tecma marine upflow toilet. It siphons and flushes the waste like your home toilet and you have no direct odors like I found over a black tank toilet. I first encountered one in a one week sailboat excursion in the British Virgin Islands but it didn't occur to me to find out how it worked at the time.

When you design a bathroom other than on a side wall between the axels people usually put in cassette toilets or composting toilets. I didn't want either. Both to me are unsanitary and difficult time consuming handling. The con side? I guess I have two maceraters to worry about and it uses slightly more water.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 07:34 PM   #22
Site Team

I considered a macerating toilet for the reasons DavyDD mentioned. But my layout didn't strictly need it, and the excess water consumption was a show-stopper for us.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 07:58 PM   #23
Platinum Member

It is not a show stopper for me. I'm in my 11th day of not dumping and probably will go 14 days before breaking camp and taking advantage of one last dump no matter if I need it or not. On a typical Dometic you fill the bowl with water for a number 2 and water flushes to clean after number 1. I mentioned slightly, not a lot. I'm down about 20 gallons on my fresh water tank out of 40 after 11 days. It is difficult to assess because we use water for washing (hands, body, dishes) as well. We try not to use the fresh tank water for drinking (coffee, pills, hiking).
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 11:36 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
Looks like some custom plumbing? I wonder if any manufactures will install as optional/standard equipment. I have the reliable gravity system. At home, our sewer connection is higher than valve termination. So I made a macerator from a garbage disposal. Works great when I want spend time back flushing the tank.

If you want to have the macerator built in to get those advantages and also keep the gravity dump, yes, it will take custom plumbing. IMO it is very worth it, though to have the convenience of the macerator and backup of the mostly foolproof gravity dump. If you decide to go macerator only it may be able to just be adapter into the gravity pump inlet and the gravity setup removed.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 08:56 PM   #25
Bronze Member

I have 20 feet on board. I added an extra tube under the running board on my Ram Promaster 3500. I have had to use 20 feet twice due to a full hookup site that 10 feet was just a bit two short. Don't forget to have plenty of gloves on hand. 5 mil Nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight a good bargain.
JoeM is offline   Reply With Quote