Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2024, 09:12 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Help with propane connection

I'm looking for a hose to go from my RT06P190 propane tank, with the goal of running a small 2 burner coleman stove from it. I've seen a few threads warning that the 10-15 PSI coming out of the regulator may not be sufficient to get much heat out of the stove. I suppose I won't know until I try.

The connection has only a couple threads on the tank side.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20240510_140101936.jpg (203.0 KB, 12 views)
sbslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 10:08 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbslider View Post
I'm looking for a hose to go from my RT06P190 propane tank, with the goal of running a small 2 burner coleman stove from it. I've seen a few threads warning that the 10-15 PSI coming out of the regulator may not be sufficient to get much heat out of the stove. I suppose I won't know until I try.

The connection has only a couple threads on the tank side.

Thanks!

Unless it has been modified there should be a pigtail hose from the second regulator (10-15psi) about 20" long or so, with a quick disconnect female connector on it. It is for accessories like stove or grilles although the pressure is to high for a low pressure grille and sometimes too low for a high pressure one. It should be accessible through the opening but the hose connection the regulator is not readily visible.

Here is the 2006 190P owners manual on the Roadtrek site. Look at page F5 for the propane layout drawing.

https://roadtrek.com/download/1682&file_id=1680
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 10:23 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Unless it has been modified there should be a pigtail hose from the second regulator (10-15psi) about 20" long or so, with a quick disconnect female connector on it. It is for accessories like stove or grilles although the pressure is to high for a low pressure grille and sometimes too low for a high pressure one. It should be accessible through the opening but the hose connection the regulator is not readily visible.

Here is the 2006 190P owners manual on the Roadtrek site. Look at page F5 for the propane layout drawing.

https://roadtrek.com/download/1682&file_id=1680
Thanks, I was able to find that hose! Next to find the mate with the right connection on the other end.
Old 05-10-2024, 11:37 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbslider View Post
Thanks, I was able to find that hose! Next to find the mate with the right connection on the other end.

There are a number of different styles of connectors and they aren't compatible with each other, so I would suggest you take the van to an RV dealer or propane shop so they can match up to your connector. The other possibility is to buy a matched connector set of female and male and replace your connector also. l propane shop could probably be able to do all that make a hose of your length easily, but propane parts are not cheap so expect a shock as you could be beyond $50 depending on hose length.
Old 05-11-2024, 12:18 AM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
There are a number of different styles of connectors and they aren't compatible with each other, so I would suggest you take the van to an RV dealer or propane shop so they can match up to your connector. The other possibility is to buy a matched connector set of female and male and replace your connector also. l propane shop could probably be able to do all that make a hose of your length easily, but propane parts are not cheap so expect a shock as you could be beyond $50 depending on hose length.
Thanks for that advice. Ah yes, one of the inconveniences of living in a smaller town is propane shops and RV dealers don't exist. Once we're heading out regularly on the road I can see visiting such places in larger towns.

We decided for now that plan A is to use the small 1# "non-refillable" bottles as is. I have been able to refill these. It takes some time and patience to do it safely, but also has the advantage of the outdoor stove not being tied on a hose (trip hazard) to the vehicle.
Old 05-11-2024, 04:46 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I just paid $4 each for the small 16 oz propane cylinders. I am always even surprised how long they last just using them for cooking. I paid a fair amount to have a propane tap installed on the side of my custom van and have never used it. I wouldn't even want to cook right next to the van off that tap when I could be on the picnic table instead. That was a waste of money for me.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 06:19 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
I wouldn't even want to cook right next to the van off that tap when I could be on the picnic table instead.
Yes, after I thought about it and talked with my wife I realized having a hose coming off the van, unless right next to the van, is a trip hazard and likely a get hands dirty activity. For now we'll try the propane cylinders and see how that goes. Obviously, cooking inside is always an option as well.

EDIT: oops, after booster's first response I realized the connection I showed is the fill port, not the outlet I would use. Can't edit that first post now though, nor any of the others I made . . .
Old 05-11-2024, 09:42 PM   #8
Platinum Member

We started with cannisters and they do last quite a while but we could go through 2 or 3 on trips pretty easily. Hard to get rid of empties safely some places was an issue and the waste of it all bothered us a lot. I got a 15 foot hose that is almost always enough to get to the picnic table. If it is not long enough we put the spare tire down with a piece of plywood on it and use it for the grille, and out little folding table to set the utensils on.

We have not had tripping issues as long as the hose is laying flat and not loopy from being twisted. The hose is usually to the rear of the van and the table away from that so most not near it very often. It is a smooth rubber hose so a wipe with a paper towel cleans it quite well with little effort. It stores on the outside storage bin, as does the grille, so a bit of dirt isn't a big deal to us.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:33 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default Portable Propane Tanks

Originally, I wanted to tap into the onboard propane tank, but ultimately decided to avoid the trip hazard of a hose between the van and whatever I was fueling.

We've gone the Flame King re-usable tank route, both with 1-lb tanks and 5-lb "growlers". While the green throwaway tanks can be refilled, I've seen some videos online that graphically illustrate how poorly they're made with extremely thin steel.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 07:47 PM   #10

What years of the 190 have the second takeoff for the BBQ?
Regnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 07:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post
Originally, I wanted to tap into the onboard propane tank, but ultimately decided to avoid the trip hazard of a hose between the van and whatever I was fueling.

We've gone the Flame King re-usable tank route, both with 1-lb tanks and 5-lb "growlers". While the green throwaway tanks can be refilled, I've seen some videos online that graphically illustrate how poorly they're made with extremely thin steel.
There are small cylinders made specifically for refilling.
Regnad is offline   Reply With Quote