Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2023, 08:41 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Has anyone made the Roadtrek sewer pipe into just a sewer pipe without the hose!?

I really hate that whole Roadtrek sewer hose and setup.

I'd prefer a real RV sewer pipe that terminates with a hose connection.

Has anyone done this on it?

The hose is so flimsy, leaking already after two uses and just a terrible design. If it were STRONGER I'd say I love this compact way to use it but it's not.

I watched the videos changing it out and prefer just to change it to a regular RV setup.

Anyone do this or attempt to? Thx
JeffGalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 11:48 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffGalan View Post
I really hate that whole Roadtrek sewer hose and setup.

I'd prefer a real RV sewer pipe that terminates with a hose connection.

Has anyone done this on it?

The hose is so flimsy, leaking already after two uses and just a terrible design. If it were STRONGER I'd say I love this compact way to use it but it's not.

I watched the videos changing it out and prefer just to change it to a regular RV setup.

Anyone do this or attempt to? Thx
That leaves you with the problem of storing the hose but if you look at the way that system is put together it should be easy to do.

Using the present arrangement with the highest quality hose you can buy works.

There is also the macerator system. It is not problem free, either.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 12:49 AM   #3
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
That leaves you with the problem of storing the hose but if you look at the way that system is put together it should be easy to do.

Using the present arrangement with the highest quality hose you can buy works.

There is also the macerator system. It is not problem free, either.
Thx for the reply.

Oh yes the storage of that messy hose, but I'll kind of used to that with my Class C.

Will look for a good quality hose for sure.

Oh theres no macerator on my RT. Its old. 1999. Just has that cheap sewer hose on there.
Old 09-30-2023, 02:02 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thx for the reply.

Oh yes the storage of that messy hose, but I'll kind of used to that with my Class C.

Will look for a good quality hose for sure.

Oh theres no macerator on my RT. Its old. 1999. Just has that cheap sewer hose on there.
There are higher quality hoses. Look for multiple ply and film thickness. If nothing else, pay the highest price.

There is at least one thread here on retrofitting a macerator to the standard Roadtrek dump system.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 02:20 AM   #5
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
There are higher quality hoses. Look for multiple ply and film thickness. If nothing else, pay the highest price.

There is at least one thread here on retrofitting a macerator to the standard Roadtrek dump system.
I'll check out the multiple thickness ones. And also the macerator retro.

Thank you much for the input.
Old 09-30-2023, 02:49 AM   #6
Platinum Member

On our RT we replaced the thin flimsy blue hose with a slightly thicker brown hose. These would last about 3-4 years, camping about 5 months/year. Going too thick on the hose will reduce the length that can be squeezed into the tube.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 02:58 AM   #7
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
On our RT we replaced the thin flimsy blue hose with a slightly thicker brown hose. These would last about 3-4 years, camping about 5 months/year. Going too thick on the hose will reduce the length that can be squeezed into the tube.
I might have to do that one instead. I'll see. Thx for the input.

I don't mind having a secondary hose to just connect to the RT hose, that way it won't have to come out of it's tube thing and will just last longer.

10 days with this RT and that is the thing I disliked the most on it.

The city water thing I thought was a pain too but the first day I put on a regular RV inlet with a very easy twist on thing. It's like night and day from the original pipe thing they had on it.

Otherwise I really love it.
Old 09-30-2023, 10:16 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
I might have to do that one instead. I'll see. Thx for the input.

I don't mind having a secondary hose to just connect to the RT hose, that way it won't have to come out of it's tube thing and will just last longer.

10 days with this RT and that is the thing I disliked the most on it.

The city water thing I thought was a pain too but the first day I put on a regular RV inlet with a very easy twist on thing. It's like night and day from the original pipe thing they had on it.

Otherwise I really love it.
I did carry an extra length of hose which had to be deployed occasionally.

We only hooked the draining and fresh water hoses up when draining/filling the tanks. We did not leave them out even in the rare occasions that we had actual hookups.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 02:36 PM   #9
Gold Member

I think this is what I am going to do. It is in my opinion a better option than the flimsy hose currently being used.
Old 09-30-2023, 04:02 PM   #10
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I did carry an extra length of hose which had to be deployed occasionally.

We only hooked the draining and fresh water hoses up when draining/filling the tanks. We did not leave them out even in the rare occasions that we had actual hookups.
I stay long times at places since I have a membership to stay up to three weeks so I'm usually hooked up but I try not to have so much connections at one time cause it slows down coming and going.
Old 09-30-2023, 04:03 PM   #11
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
I think this is what I am going to do. It is in my opinion a better option than the flimsy hose currently being used.
That's a good one. Will refer to this in the future
Old 09-30-2023, 11:24 PM   #12
Platinum Member

My macerator sewer hose setup is simple. I replaced the original Roadtrek hose with a Tigerflex hose from the macerator into the hose storage box. A Thetford Sanicon flex hose is attached to the Tigerflex hose. A shutoff valve with 90-degree fitting is attached to the Sanicon hose. A short extension with tapered rubber plug is on the shutoff valve. All of it fits in the storage box. So there is no disconnecting of hoses, and the valve prevents any nasty water from leaking out. Notice there are some thick sections of old radiator hose around the Sanicon at each end. These pieces of radiator hose, along with some sealant, fixed some minor pinhole leaks or small cracks in the Sanicon that were due to flexing or stress at the attachment point. The Sanicon is 12 years old. Perhaps it is due for replacement but it is holding for now.

Very easy to use with essentially no mess. Tigerflex from local industrial products store. Sanicon form Amazon. The other parts from Home Depot or plumbing store.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Macerator house 1.JPG (342.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Macerator house 2.JPG (313.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Macerator house 3.JPG (349.9 KB, 9 views)
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 05:00 PM   #13
Silver Member

Quote:
Very nice
Thanks for the post
Old 10-04-2023, 06:52 PM   #14
Gold Member

Quote:
Very nice
Thanks for the post
You are welcome. Will be a winter project for me.
Old 10-04-2023, 07:01 PM   #15
Silver Member

Quote:
You are welcome. Will be a winter project for me.
Definitely a project for sure 😃

BTW do you know if RT has a cable on it to pull the grey water?

I got under it as far as I can and looks like it goes back behind the black one and makes a turn to the right. It's definitely not a straight pull.

I'm going to try the oil into the tank to loosen the values some as they are extremely hard to pull that I hit my wrists several times on the metal bar there that I'm all bruised now.

Thx for your input.
Old 10-05-2023, 10:50 AM   #16
Platinum Member

On my 02C200P I was mulling over replacing the 3 inch flex hose with a removable one. First thing is where to store the new hose? So decided that I do not like the set up but it does do the job and works well.

The only mod I made was the hinge that locks the hose in place was poorly positioned and rubbed against the cross brace so I cut about 1/2 inch off. The cross brace, horizontal piece under the step is a very poor design and in the way, guess they never heard of a chase in Canada.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 01:01 PM   #17
Gold Member

Jeff, what year and model roadtrek is yours. They differ a little.
Old 10-05-2023, 01:15 PM   #18
Platinum Member

I think that whenever you start to try to make the dumping quicker, easier, cleaner, you might want to read some the threads on this forum that refer to upgrades to "dual dumping" setups that have been built in various ways.

The dual dump normally consists of a macerator dumping system which is quick and clean to use as the primary dumping and it also has a manual dump system with removable hose in case of a macerator pump failure. Members here have been doing them for years and even before Roadtrek put a similar setup on the Zions before they went out of business.

I put one of the early builds on our 07 Roadtrek C190P a long time ago and it has been on since then without issue.

Macerators are great, clean, fast, convenient, but there is always the chance of a pump failure leaving you with full tanks you can't empty easily.

Add the backup manual dump to get you by until you get the pump fixed and you have the security of not ruining a trip.

Best of both worlds.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 03:16 PM   #19
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
On my 02C200P I was mulling over replacing the 3 inch flex hose with a removable one. First thing is where to store the new hose? So decided that I do not like the set up but it does do the job and works well.

The only mod I made was the hinge that locks the hose in place was poorly positioned and rubbed against the cross brace so I cut about 1/2 inch off. The cross brace, horizontal piece under the step is a very poor design and in the way, guess they never heard of a chase in Canada.
I would store the hose in a small tote on the left side. The previous owner had his in one as well.

Thanks for the mod tip there, very interesting idea!
Old 10-05-2023, 03:17 PM   #20
Silver Member

Quote:
Jeff, what year and model roadtrek is yours. They differ a little.
It's a 99 190P.