Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2024, 02:37 PM   #1

Default Dometic 3 way fridge flame fire

The model is RM 8550 Dometic 3 way in a 2012 Pleasure Way. It was only running a short time on propane then clicking again so I pulled the burner cover, turned it back on and the burner lights then after a few seconds there is a 2nd flame that pops up from the burner tube (not sure if that’s what it’s called). As you can see from the pics it burned through the wire insulation. I’m not sure where this extra flame is coming from, a leak?

Is there a way to shut the gas completely off to the fridge while still being able to use it on shore power and still use the propane cooktop?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1474.jpg (130.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1475.jpg (89.6 KB, 12 views)
Camper256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 06:50 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I could be wrong, but I think the flame orifice is clogged/restricted. The hole where the second flame is coming out, should be letting air in to mix with the propane, but instead propane is coming out of it. Needless to say, this could be a dangerous situation. First thing I'd do is turn off the propane. Aside from an RV tech, a decent plumber could fix this.
The Eyesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2024, 08:03 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Here is some information about the steel gas line used for the fridge. Propane gas has water vapor in it and can cause the steel line to rust on the inside blocking propane gas flow. Replace with copper/nickel 3/16" brake line.
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 04:15 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Is there a way to shut the gas completely off to the fridge while still being able to use it on shore power and still use the propane cooktop?[/QUOTE]
You will see a shut off at the valve, regular screwdriver. It should auto select to electric if plugged in. Worst case you select A/C
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 09:04 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Pull the wires off the solenoid valve. This should prevent any gas flow and allow you to run on electric and use the stove. Remove the orifice and soak it in some solvent. Do not try to clean it using a wire. Make sure the check the burner tub for debris like cobwebs and blow it out.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 10:37 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I would follow JohnnyFry's advice as a place to start on the problem. It is amazing what an insect can do inside these things. Same for a little piece of rust. Cleaning would be my first step.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic fridge, flame, propane