Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM   #1
GLW

Default Do I remove my batteries for winter

New Pleasureway Ontour 2.2 owner, live in Pennsylvania and getting ready to winterize. Do I remove my 2 Eco-Ion Lithium 100 AH batteries for the winter and if so how do you run the Onan generator each month for a 1/2 hr as I think it needs these batteries to start it. I have read leave them in and read take them out. Appreciate any input from someone who stores their RV outside and lives in a cold weather area and what you do each year. Thanks
GLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:06 AM   #2
Site Team

Check the specs on storage temperature of your batteries. Most are OK down to zero F. or less. Assuming the batteries have heating pads, you could just turn them on if it gets colder than that.

As for "exercising" the Onan monthly, Well... I guess I shouldn't comment on that "rule".
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:57 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I'm in a place where -20F is expected, and much colder is not surprising.

When I had an unheated lithium battery, I removed it. Now that my battery has internal heat, I leave it in the camper with the camper plugged in. I set my charging devices to not charge below 36F, and to keep the battery voltage around 13.2V, rather than fully charged.

If one where in an area where temps of -0F or lower are rare, on the extreme cold days, one could plug the camper in and heat the inside of the camper with a portable electric heater, just to keep the inside from getting too cold.