Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2024, 11:55 AM   #1

Default Custom Control Panels - Thoughts?

Hey everyone!

Not sure if this is the right section to post this, but I was designing my own custom control panel that basically holds everything I need on a single piece, and I had the thought that something like this might be useful for other people doing DIY camper vans.

The design could obviously be customized to fit any combination of switches, USB ports, battery monitors, gauges, etc., depending on what’s needed. I put together a second rendering as an example.

I’m planning to make mine soon once I get access to a CNC, but I wanted to share a couple designs and get some feedback.

Do you think other van builders would be interested in custom control panels like this?

MTBnamja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2024, 04:16 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Back in my sailing/cruising days, I built a number of such panels. I did most of them "on-site" which meant I didn't have access to my CNC machine back ststeside. Were I to do one now, I'd look at hiring an outfit to do the cutting. There is a highly regarded outfit, with a wide selection of materials, I would consider. [All because I needed the space in the "shop" so I disassembled the CNC. ] The company is Send-Cut-Send. Not affiliated, havent used - yet, but they close a loop that sometimes local shops can't provide. https://sendcutsend.com/

None-the-less, post a couple of renderings. I bet everyone would appreciate taking a look.

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2024, 07:35 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I use Blue Sea customizable control panels; they have a large portfolio of options for different needs. Designing a panel to fits all could be rather difficult. https://www.bluesea.com/products/category/5/Panels. For another panels with gauges and some switches I had a sheet of HDPE CNCed to my needs.

Recently I added a linear actuator to my rock & roll sofa bed and getting a label for the new specific circuit was painless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZGR62370.jpg (174.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg ZBY01575.jpg (184.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg GRE13156.JPG (198.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg GRE13157.jpg (143.2 KB, 4 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2024, 08:52 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I use Blue Sea customizable control panels; they have a large portfolio of options for different needs. Designing a panel to fits all could be rather difficult. https://www.bluesea.com/products/category/5/Panels. For another panels with gauges and some switches I had a sheet of HDPE CNCed to my needs.

Recently I added a linear actuator to my rock & roll sofa bed and getting a label for the new specific circuit was painless.

How do you get the labels to stick to the HDPE? That usually takes some very special adhesive and flame treating the plastic.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2024, 09:50 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
How do you get the labels to stick to the HDPE? That usually takes some very special adhesive and flame treating the plastic.
Good question, HDPE is notoriously bad for most of adhesives, I found one VHB tape which was tuned by 3M folks for polyolefins, it works well.

Regarding the label for Blue Sea panel it is a different story, their panel are made from aluminum plate with any custom labels which need to be ordered from Blue Sea. Those labels pass LED illumination and are readable at night. In one case on HDPE the definition was engraved by CNC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZBY01574.jpg (180.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ZZGR1284.jpg (114.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg GR020666.jpg (127.5 KB, 0 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2024, 01:18 AM   #6
Platinum Member

MTBnamja -

Nice looking renderings. I guess those are push-button-latch buttons. Very clean design, rather than the toggle switch. Assume all switchig goes to something like:

Easily located behind the panel or other location.

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2024, 01:34 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I don't have a CNC, but do have a manual knee mill and lathe so making control panels would not be that difficult.

When I looked at it and based on my working life similarly, when you go to milled opening for switches, displays, etc in control panels you have to find switches that have radiused corners unless you are will to completely backmount and have exposed metal edge visible. You may find that the places that sell the panel and switches have it set up so the switches are pretty unique so you have to get replacements from them if they are still in business, which might be tough if you in a campground in the middle of nowhere.

During my working days we always bought punched or laser cut so we could get the square corners for common off the shelf switches and other panel mount things.

My guess these days is that a prototype one off shop is going to use laser as it is very quick and easy to program without setting up punches.

Most of the stuff I have made at home is small so I just drill, jig saw, file corners and call it day. Done before I can get the mill uncovered, lubed and setup to even start making chips.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote