Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2024, 12:55 AM   #1

Default Coachmen or Thor? Newbie RVer

Hey guys, so I am new to RVing and in the market for an RV. Right now I am looking at a 2022 Thor Tellaro 20L with 9k miles and a 2020 Coachman Beyond with 38k miles. Both are about the same price.

I am not familiar with the brand Thor but have seen many Coachman's out in the wild (Live in Mountainous CO).

What do you think would be better choice as far as reliability goes? I am old and not well diverse in fixing things if they break. Looking for reliability.

Thanks
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 06:49 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Most people here will tell you that anything Thor is low quality and should be avoided. Coachman has much better cabinetry.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 12:28 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I second Snowy's advice.
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 01:07 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Third for Coachmen. My wife and I have been shopping for RVs for a number of years now (yes, years!!), waiting for the right time in life to make the move (the "right" time will never come, but we are making it happen anyway). After working in residential construction for over 20 years, I have learned how to look past pretty surfaces and see what structure lies beneath, and in the mass-produced Class B market (haven't looked in any other class), Coachmen appears to be the best in my opinion.

While price is not always a consistent indicator, especially in the used market, the fact that a 2-year newer with 29,000 less miles Thor is the same cost as a Coachmen (assuming you are looking at the rear-bath model) might offer some clue to the quality of the Coachmen. One of the major factors for me is that Coachmen insulates their Class B models, and others can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe other Class B mfgrs are doing that. Also, double check the electrical system on both, but I believe the Beyond has an inverter to be able to use 120v outlets on battery (probably limited usage if AGM equipped vs lithium), but I do not see an inverter listed for the Tellaro, so no 120v without generator or shore-power. Just some things to think about.
sparkyfourhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 01:51 PM   #5
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
Hey guys, so I am new to RVing and in the market for an RV. Right now I am looking at a 2022 Thor Tellaro 20L with 9k miles and a 2020 Coachman Beyond with 38k miles. Both are about the same price.

I am not familiar with the brand Thor but have seen many Coachman's out in the wild (Live in Mountainous CO).

What do you think would be better choice as far as reliability goes? I am old and not well diverse in fixing things if they break. Looking for reliability.

Thanks
Hi Smokey,

One potential advantage of Used is that the quality issues have been attended to! IF that is the case, I would choose the Tellaro.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 05:04 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
One potential advantage of Used is that the quality issues have been attended to! IF that is the case, I would choose the Tellaro.
It is true that a used rig is likely to have critical faults addressed. However, Thor quality problems go deep. Cheap materials, poor construction techniques and spaghetti electrical installations cannot as a practical matter be fixed.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 05:07 PM   #7
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
It is true that a used rig is likely to have critical faults addressed. However, Thor quality problems go deep. Cheap materials, poor construction techniques and spaghetti electrical installations cannot as a practical matter be fixed.
Hey avanti, there was a large IF.

Thanks for being somewhat specific and posting.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2024, 07:50 PM   #8
Gold Member

Choosing on quality and anticipated problems, this one is a no-brainer.

Leaving brands aside, you have a 2022 RV, made in the absolute depths of Pandemic Pandemonium when manufacturers couldn't slap stuff together fast enough and couldn't get parts to do the slapping. As compared to one manufactured before the massive supply chain mess happened.

Then Thor vs Coachmen. This one is easy.
Old 08-06-2024, 09:20 PM   #9
Platinum Member

https://www.motor1.com/news/537319/r...ty-complaints/
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 10:32 AM   #10

Thor RVs can be a bit more hit-or-miss in terms of reliability compared to Coachmen.
sc_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 04:18 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I believe the Coachman Beyond is built on a Ford Transit chassis. Not 100% sure.
The Thor Tellaro is built on a RAM Promaster 3500 ext chassis.

The differences in chassis and floorplan may outweigh the interior fitment quality.

Both will use the same components: heater, refrigerator, awning, generator, etc. So the reliability of things that break most often will be the same.

I would first determine kind of chassis and floorplan you want. These things cannot be changed.

RAM Promaster, Ford Transit and Mercedes Sprinter are the most common chassis. All have pros and cons. Do some research and choose a favorite.

Then it comes down to floorplans. Big trade offs are larger rear bath and smaller beds or twin beds vs larger rear bed or convertible sofa and small mid-bath. Lots of variety here so once you find a floorplan you can shop different manufacturers and even chassis.

Thor 2020 20AT here. Love the floorplan.

All else being equal Coachman build quality is better than Thor in terms of cabinets and exterior finishes.
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 04:28 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Both will use the same components: heater, refrigerator, awning, generator, etc. So the reliability of things that break most often will be the same.
While not trying to be too argumentative, I will stay that, even though they might use the same equipment, I would question that they use the same installation quality. It is more of HOW they same equipment was installed and connected. I have seem that some manufacturers are using a pluming connection method that is not designed for the type of plumbing pipe being used, and can cause failures. Sorry I can't find the specifics, but it was a video put out by an RV inspector.

NOTE: I am not speaking from experience, but only from what I have seen on the web and watched on YT, which makes me an "expert"!!
sparkyfourhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 08:29 PM   #13

I will third the comments on Coachman build quality. Probably best built Promaster chassis is a Canadian company but has limited availability in the U.S. Number 2 was Coachman Nova, but they did noy start adding the drivers side bunk extra seatbelts for the 3rd & 4th passenger (just in case needed for tailgating). Number 3 was Winnebago. We purchased a used 2019 Travato 59K, with about 33,000 miles, and a have about 10,000 miles on it since. We passed on units in NC (was a rental) and in Georgia that had some body damage and seaside corrosion ($300 inspection was worth it). The Toledo-Detroit area inspections were about $1500, so we purchased a 3 year extended warranty instead for about $3500. Winnbago Travato 59K has the sold the most units in the US. Also be aware of awning recalls.
There was a blown fuse and damaged circuit board on the solar charge controller that we fixed for $159 but my son is a handy electrical engineer and we fixed it ourselves.
If you look at used trucks (Auttrader, Cars.com) I have seen used Promaster 3500 with up to 320,000 miles, soi they are durable if maintenace is kept up.
PatMM is offline   Reply With Quote