Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2024, 03:02 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Boondocking...

Hello everyone...Ok, we are about to boondock for the first time ever!...only one night. I'll have our fresh water tank filled along with the propane. We do have two solar panel so our fridge shouldn't have any problems keeping our food cold through the one nite...right? Turn thermostat down a little?...it will be in the 60's so I don't anticipate using any AC...our we good/ Any tips from you experienced campers will be appreciated..THANKS!
HappyCamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 03:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I'm pretty sure you'll have a portable jump starter - just in case?

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 04:24 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Default Boondocking

...no, just jumper cables...why would I be concerned about the engine battery. Thinking about the overnite draw on the coach batteries.
Old 08-31-2024, 04:36 PM   #4
Platinum Member

It is highly unlikely that one night is going to be an issue with most any class b as long as whatever battery or batteries in the coach are in good condition and fully charged.

You list a Simplicity in your profile, is this one that has a compressor frig in it?

Knowing what frig and batteries you have would give a better idea, but condition and how your are going to charge them before arriving would certainly help.

What do you have to in the van to determine how charged or discharged the batteries are? As always putting in a good battery monitor to know where you are at is recommended if it doesn't have one.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 06:37 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Default Boondocking...

Yes it is our Simplicity with a compressor fridge...with our solar panels and our alternator-on- steroids for the coach charging shouldn't be a problem on the drive down...as for a battery monitor I've just been using the monitor on control panel...
Old 08-31-2024, 07:56 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper1 View Post
Yes it is our Simplicity with a compressor fridge...with our solar panels and our alternator-on- steroids for the coach charging shouldn't be a problem on the drive down...as for a battery monitor I've just been using the monitor on control panel...

You should be fine if the batteries are in good shape. Long term and when you start go longer periods a shunt base monitor would be a good idea as you never really know how much you gained with the solar otherwise.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 08:12 PM   #7
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper1 View Post
Hello everyone...Ok, we are about to boondock for the first time ever!...only one night. I'll have our fresh water tank filled along with the propane. We do have two solar panel so our fridge shouldn't have any problems keeping our food cold through the one nite...right? Turn thermostat down a little?...it will be in the 60's so I don't anticipate using any AC...our we good/ Any tips from you experienced campers will be appreciated..THANKS!
This is pretty simple. Folks have pulled into a camp spot and Not plugged into shore power. I have, too lazy to plug in.

Enjoy, you're good to go.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 11:17 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Best of Luck. as the song goes:
Quote:
Don't worry - be Happy...
Have a great "First Night Out!"
May you enjoy many more to come.

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 01:08 PM   #9
Platinum Member

It's addicting. I think it's been a couple years since we plugged in anywhere except our driveway and we travel for months at a time.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2024, 04:25 PM   #10
MN1

As long as your battery is good you should be fine. Can you do a trial run in your driveway before you go?
MN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2024, 04:32 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Default Our biggest concern

Hi, we don't have our class B anymore 😞, but have a smaller class C. With both usually we can't boondock longer than 4-5 days and that's stretching it. Our biggest concern is not having enough water. Of course, you will probably carry jugs or bottles of extra water. When you start a shower, save the water you use to heat it up to flush the toilet. We use a mop bucket.

Enjoy it. Remember, most anything is better than sleeping on the ground. 🤪
swadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2024, 09:37 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Our limiting factor is fresh milk.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2024, 03:16 PM   #13

Agree with MN1...will your coach battery run the fridge all night? I always heard that the fridge needs 12 to 24 hours to stabilize before hitting the road.
If the furnace is using propane, the blow shouldn't use much power. We also turn off the water pump at night.
Out 2019 Travato 59K has 200-250 watts solar, plus driving charging. Does free you up for picking cheap US ACE campgrounds, US Forrest etc. for like $7 to $12 / night.
We plan on hitting a few overnight Cracker Barrels while headed to Acadia later this month.
PatMM is offline   Reply With Quote