Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2024, 05:06 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Bed Lifting System Options

We are considering a modification to a future Sprinter-based RV that would allow for a platform bed on a lift system above a dinette area. Not to get into chassis arguments or the layout design, I am more interested in the systems available and their positives/negatives. Although we are not yet ready to be full-timers (may never be), we do plan to put some miles on the clock for our unit, and could potentially be out for months at a time, so a system that can hold up to near-daily operation would be essential.

I think that the EuroLoft has a huge advantage over Happijac for dealing with the curved walls, but both are Lippert products and people seem to hate pretty hard on Lippert for quality issues. My exhaustive 1.3-minute search has yielded a lot of DIY "concepts", but the Lippert products seem to rule the market. Any real-world experience with the EuroLoft or other products would be greatly appreciated.
sparkyfourhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 08:33 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyfourhire View Post
We are considering a modification to a future Sprinter-based RV that would allow for a platform bed on a lift system above a dinette area. Not to get into chassis arguments or the layout design, I am more interested in the systems available and their positives/negatives. Although we are not yet ready to be full-timers (may never be), we do plan to put some miles on the clock for our unit, and could potentially be out for months at a time, so a system that can hold up to near-daily operation would be essential.

I think that the EuroLoft has a huge advantage over Happijac for dealing with the curved walls, but both are Lippert products and people seem to hate pretty hard on Lippert for quality issues. My exhaustive 1.3-minute search has yielded a lot of DIY "concepts", but the Lippert products seem to rule the market. Any real-world experience with the EuroLoft or other products would be greatly appreciated.
I don’t have experience with any lift bed system but have a very good experience with HappiJack camper jacks on my previously owned truck camper. I think chain and drive shaft could be an overkill for lift bed system, but it is certainly reliable.

I designed and built my own “rock and roll” sofa bed based on 80/20 aluminum framing and are in the midst of adding a linear actuator to simplify switching from bed to sofa. I have six-inch-thick foam and it is very heavy. Don’t underestimated the bed weight with full mattress and bedding.
I don’t see any difference between strap vs ACME lift regarding curved vans walls, in both cased bed platform will need to be mounted in some kind of guides.

My HappiJacks had a manual backup in case of motor or electrical failure, important attribute for bed as well.

You could consider 80/20 for guides, with nylon straps, single shaft reaching both sides and single motor (a la Lippert) could be reasonable easily to implement.

GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2024, 06:21 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyfourhire View Post
We are considering a modification to a future Sprinter-based RV that would allow for a platform bed on a lift system above a dinette area...

I think that the EuroLoft has a huge advantage over Happijac for dealing with the curved walls, but both are Lippert products and people seem to hate pretty hard on Lippert for quality issues. Any real-world experience with the EuroLoft or other products would be greatly appreciated.
We have the Project 2000 lift unit, which is the lift system for the Euroloft, installed in our van for a lengthwise rear bed and gear garage area. It's worked reliably for the three years we've owned the van and we greatly appreciate the storage versatility and permanent bedding of the height adjustable sleeping platform.

Our van upfitter purchases the lift drive and belt assembly directly from Project 2000 SRL in Italy and uses it with their own bed assembly. However most US buyers would obtain the complete Euroloft bed system including Project 2000 mechanism from Lippert. Although Lippert (LCI) does have some quality challenges the sideways mount version of Euroloft is used successfully in thousands of Winnebago Revel Class B's and their imitators.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 10:37 AM   #4

I've used the EuroLoft bed lift system in my RV for a while now, and it's been solid. It handles the curved walls well and hasn't given me any major issues despite frequent use. Lippert products do get a bad rap, but I haven't had any significant problems with mine.
sc_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2024, 11:20 PM   #5

Have you considered how the weight of the lift system will impact your RV's balance and overall capacity? It’s crucial to ensure compatibility with the vehicle's structure to avoid any safety issues. When evaluating systems, look into their ease of operation for daily use and the availability of replacement parts.
f8v6dw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2024, 02:20 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f8v6dw View Post
Have you considered how the weight of the lift system will impact your RV's balance and overall capacity? It’s crucial to ensure compatibility with the vehicle's structure to avoid any safety issues. When evaluating systems, look into their ease of operation for daily use and the availability of replacement parts.
I understand that you are a new member to the forum, and so I have taken a moment to consider your post carefully instead of reacting immediately. Unfortunately, I have not been able to determine if I should be thankful for your input, or be insulted for my apparent lack of ability to understand even the most basic considerations of any modification of anything in existence. I have attempted to go with the former, but I recognize that a bit of the latter might show in my responses.

I have considered the small weight addition (about 100 lbs) and how little it will affect the RV's balance and overall capacity (RV balance issues to be brought up in another post https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...tml#post155037). Since these systems have already been installed in numerous RVs of all types, I think structural compatibility has already been established. As far as ease of operation for daily use and the availability of replacement parts, that was the point of my post to begin with, and why I asked for real-world experience with these systems.
sparkyfourhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2024, 06:06 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Here is a sales write-up on the use of actuators in an RV that mentions lifting a bed:

https://www.firgelliauto.com/blogs/a...tion-and-types

and a lift kit from Australia:

https://www.compact-innovations.com/...-bed-lift-kit/
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2024, 06:45 PM   #8
Platinum Member

See one by Progressive in the Sprinter

GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote