Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2024, 10:37 PM   #1
otr
Gold Member

Default 2000 RT 190V brake light, turn signal not working

My 2000 RT 190, Dodge B3500 is having a problem, took it out of winter storage and the brake lights and turn signals are not working. The center brake light is working.
I have spent several hours on various Dodge forums and the likely culprit is the "multifunction switch".
This is the switch which the turn signal lever is connected to, it also has the 4 way flashers, headlight dimmer and windshield wider control.
I found a new old stock on ebay and replaced it, but the problem continues.
The ebay seller of the switch who has been great suggested that it may be a bad switch.

My question as this appears to be a not uncommon issue is has anyone had this same problem?
Did you solve it? How did you solve it?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sSoCVAxC1z5mryeg7

Thanks!!
otr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 03:58 PM   #2

PLs. don't think my response is insulting as it is based on similar recent rear marker lights "malfunction" on 2010 sprinter RS Adventurous. Do you have power getting to the sockets/contacts for the lights in question? During winter storage you may have had animals chewing off insulation on relevant wires. Therefore bad ground?? When I purchased replacement bulbs from a Canadian national chain to solve the problem, the necks of the properly coded bulbs were slightly shorter than the OME preventing proper socket contact. Wasted hours trying to track that irregularity down. Good luck.
bonnecavesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 07:10 PM   #3

This sounds a bit like what you tried but thought I’d pass on anyway.
I have a RT2000 P190. Your problem sounded familiar. Digging thru my records I found that in 2007 when we were in Newfoundland my headlights and brake lights went screwy. Worked intermittently according to the repair work order. After several tries apparently, they replaced the “multi-function switch” #0150 205AA Switch Kit. It was a Dodge dealer in Grand Falls-Windsor Nfld. If memory serves, think the switch is in the steering column. Not positive tho. Only 1/2 -1 hr labor charged. Had 117509 mi at the time. Now 320000 and still working. ��.
GeoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 07:03 PM   #4
otr
Gold Member

Problem solved, I went with my online research which suggested it was the multifunction switch, replaced this and the brake lights worked, but no 4 ways or turn signals. I could not face doing good science and removing the switch and replacing the original to confirm whether I just missed something or this solved that part of the problem, a new flasher relay fixed the 4 way/turn signals.

Yes, I wonder if the relay would have solved all issues, but could not face undoing everything.

The multifunction switch was a NOS from ebay for $99, I had gotten one from Rock auto $104, but the one I needed had the harness hardwired to the switch, the one Rock sent had a connector on the switch, but their photo of the item showed a switch with the harness attached.

The correct item for the 2000 B3500 Dodge is a Mopar 5010205AA
otr is offline   Reply With Quote