Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2024, 04:21 AM   #1

Default New!

It feels so weird to post to someone else’s forum. I have never had time to do this!

I am soon going to be the owner of a free Wheeling RV! My dog and I are going to travel all around and I can’t wait! I also can’t wait to meet you all! Perhaps on the road, too! Or off of it!

Jennie
Ifish Jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 03:31 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome. I don't know why you would feel weird posting. I've been on several. First was one specific to restoring a particular type of car. It was fantastic. Constant feedback from people who knew tons of information on that particular model and had done similar restorations. Even the smallest detail (what size/grade bolt was original) received rapid replies.

I've enjoyed this forum just as much. A lot of kind people here with much experience and a great willingness to share.
GallenH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 03:46 PM   #3

Thanks! I spent 20 some years hidden in one forum! This is the same software, but a different forum and it just feels great to have a different subject matter! It’s weird to be “just” a member without duties to carry out.
I certainly didn’t mean it as anything but great! Just new to me!
I like it!
Old 06-29-2024, 02:41 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Welcome... I know the feeling of finally not being a moderator (also the same software), but I have been on a number of forums on different topics over the years.

What kind of class B are you planning to buy?
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2024, 05:28 AM   #5

Default Very new

I’m in the research phase! I’ve never had even a truck camper, not even growing up! Well, wait. I guess we did, but my point is… I am new to this.
I thought Sprinter at first.
I want to buy it ready to fly. I’m too old to start from a cargo van! I want something that someone has fixed many of the problems on. I realize there will always be problems that need fixing, but one that somebody has camped in and thought thru.
I’m selling a really nice Ford F 150, and I have savings… I have a large springer spaniel traveling companion.
We are going to hit the road and just go. I am selling most of my belongings. I just want to see the world! Mostly the US by van.
Anyhow, everyone seems to want a sprinter. But a gal pal bought a Dodge something or another and she really likes that.
Oh boy. I AM new. So, I’m going to settle in and read, while watching the ads. I’m sure I will learn so much, here! I Certainly can’t add much to the conversations!
Old 06-29-2024, 04:38 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I never considered either a truck camper or a trailer because as a woman traveling alone, I didn't want to have to go outside to get back and forth. Any suspicious issue at night, easy to just jump in the driver's seat and head out... not that I ever had to.

As you can see from my list, through the years I've owned at least one of every model used in class B or C except the Sprinter. A few reasons... don't want to deal with diesel... service is significantly more expensive because it is badged Mercedes... and in much of the country service will be 500 miles or so from where you are... and too many friends dumped their Sprinter based rigs because of excessive issues and having to 'limp home.'

I would also avoid the older Ford E vans because of very common handling issues. I loved the design and set-up of my first van, but it was extremely exhausting to drive.

No real complaints about the two Chevy based units I owned, but my favorite is definitely the Ram Promaster. I loved the front wheel drive and the biggest interior space... especially nice if you have a dog to avoid always stumbling over each other. lol

First step for you... figure out your budget. New or used? Then think about floor plans and how will you use this van. Camp grounds with hook-ups or dry camping out in the middle of nowhere. How mechanical are you to do minor repairs? How comfortable are you with complicated electrical and computer systems?

I started my search on one of these forums back in 2003... then I started looking at floor plans on company websites. Now we have a great collection of video walk throughs on youtube. The search is half the fun.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 06-29-2024, 04:50 PM   #7
Site Team

I will second what Mumkin said about Sprinter ownership. Yes, "everyone seems to want a Sprinter," but only until they have experienced the realities of owning a Mercedes diesel. After that, only the fanboys and the very lucky ones continue to feel that way.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2024, 05:21 PM   #8

What grand advice, already! Thank you!
“The search is half the fun.“
Right? Like plans for travel! I’m having fun, already!
I can’t wait to answer all your questions and go look at your YouTube channel! Thanks!
Old 06-29-2024, 05:23 PM   #9

I don’t want a trailer because I fish and I’d like to tow a boat, sometimes. Thus, the idea to get a van.
I’m thinking of renting ones I’m interested in for weekends and try them out!
Old 06-29-2024, 05:25 PM   #10

Also, I’m disabled, so I need a good, roomy floor plan.
Old 06-29-2024, 05:27 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I second and third Mumkin and Avanti. “Everyone wants a Sprinter” may have been true 10 years ago, but not since better came along. Especially as a woman traveling alone, you really don’t want a Sprinter.

Given that we just passed 250,000 miles on our Promaster, I’m pretty darned partial to it, but the reality is that if you are looking for built out, pick whichever between PM and Transit, pick whichever gives you the layout/build/price you like best. Realistically, if you need roomy, you will probably end up with a PM.

And welcome to the magic. It really is magic.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2024, 09:08 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifish Jennie View Post
... go look at your YouTube channel! Thanks!
Must admit that I have no youtube channel... nor does this forum. lol Some are put up by manufacturers, but most are done by dealers of rigs they have for sale on their lot. But no problem, every video on youtube leads to a dozen more.

And how could I forget to suggest renting?? That is the way to try out driving a Promaster or Transit. Also how it works out with your disability.

The weight of the boat that you want to tow is another factor. Making a van a home means lots of added weight, so it limits how much you can tow. Most fishing boats are pretty lightweight. I wouldn't want to be dragging along more than a couple thousand pounds max, which excludes towing a car.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 06-29-2024, 11:24 PM   #13

I’m sorry! I must have misread!
Quote:
Now we have a great collection of video walk throughs on youtube.
I thought you meant yours!
Anyhow, I am blown away by all the kind and helpful comments! Thank you so much for making me feel welcomed and giving me food for thought! I honestly can’t wait to dive in!
I’m so glad you said renting is a good idea!
Yay! We are off to see the Wizard!
Old Yesterday, 12:38 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Yeah, I was kicking myself for not suggesting renting. About the best advice you could be given.

Old Yesterday, 03:21 AM   #15

Welcome !
I bought my first RT 190P Dodge, when my son was 6 yo and we had an Airedale Terrier-so 21 years ago. Just bought my second RT 190P Chevy and have spent 40 hours working on it, cleaning it out, tightening things, laundering curtains. I was a single Mom at the time and I could maintain this vehicle solo. Part car/ part RV, so there are things to maintain, just like your home. Newbies don't realize that vibrations loosen everything !
Old Yesterday, 03:49 AM   #16

So, you guys? A friend of mine settled on a Banff. I think I spelled that right. What do you think of those? They seem pretty affordable!
Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Search for Carado Banff on this site. IIRC, it was a cheaply built Hymer product, and Hymer is no more, but people liked it anyway. So if you were to find one, check all the added stuff very carefully. Make sure water and electrical work and there are no water leaks. If it checks out and you like it…

Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM   #18

Yes. That is what she said. But she said it was within her price range and she is so far happy with it, but it doesn’t do well climbing steep grades.
Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifish Jennie View Post
Yes. That is what she said. But she said it was within her price range and she is so far happy with it, but it doesn’t do well climbing steep grades.
None of the gas models are going to impress with their mountain climbing ability. It is a heavily loaded van that was actually built for the working market. The local plumber and electrician don't need speed or lots of hill climbing power. lol

While Hymer Europe owned Roadtrek, they built a "luxury" model called the Aktiv, two cheaper models called Carado, and an even cheaper slapped together in a couple hours (yes really) with the same floor plan as the Banff called a couple different names... Van One... and only sold at Camping World. (most of us suggest avoiding them for purchasing or servicing). One downside of those early models was it didn't have a gray tank and the galley sink just dumped on the ground, which is illegal in most places.

The Banff has an open interior that may appeal to you. It does have a large rear bath, but what you lose with that is that the galley is puny... tiny fridge on the floor which some find difficult. If I were full timing in the van, I would want more "kitchen" space. Pros and cons to every RV.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
None of the gas models are going to impress with their mountain climbing ability. It is a heavily loaded van that was actually built for the working market. The local plumber and electrician don't need speed or lots of hill climbing power. lol

While Hymer Europe owned Roadtrek, they built a "luxury" model called the Aktiv, two cheaper models called Carado, and an even cheaper slapped together in a couple hours (yes really) with the same floor plan as the Banff called a couple different names... Van One... and only sold at Camping World. (most of us suggest avoiding them for purchasing or servicing). One downside of those early models was it didn't have a gray tank and the galley sink just dumped on the ground, which is illegal in most places.

The Banff has an open interior that may appeal to you. It does have a large rear bath, but what you lose with that is that the galley is puny... tiny fridge on the floor which some find difficult. If I were full timing in the van, I would want more "kitchen" space. Pros and cons to every RV.

This was somewhat true in the past when the Ford and Chevy gassers were not turbocharged, although the Chevy still had the same or more torque then the Sprinter turbo diesel and could keep up or be quicker up to about 10K feet elevation (based on our van).

With huge torque turbocharged Transit vans sporting much more torque all the time and with the turbo to take care of elevation, they will beat any Sprinter up any mountain, I think, and certainly win stoplight drag races
booster is online now   Reply With Quote