Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2024, 11:13 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trash panda View Post
Sorry for reviving this thread. But a way out of this is opening the link from another device where you haven't got any data to lose.
Open a private tab on the browser and use an online service for SMS verifications. I use https://anonymsms.com/. That way, the message will come on their servers, and when you click the link, it will open in a private tab where you don't have any personal information.

I have done similar to this in the past on questionable links in emails on the PC, but to do it I have to go to a specific hard drive on that same PC that runs on it's own version of Windows that has no data on it. From the phone link it can be decent to do that or it can be a pain if it is very long string to type into the other operating system.

The problem with doing stuff like that, though, is that I am then doing things like looking at things on a drive that doesn't have a lot of information on it, but the site I am looking at might be something with my information on it.

Since this thread was started, the links on the phone thing has gotten even more common and is still not a comfortable thing for me to do. I get them for things like prechecking in for medical appointments and such. My wife got one yesterday about click a link to pay a bill for a personal property tax insurance policy she has with State Farm. I would never put any banking information into a place I went to on a phone text or email link. We went to the State Farm website directly to do it like we pay the rest of our bills.

Of note is many places have quit doing it though, most notable for me is that US Bank tried it for a little while and stopped. Probably because nobody would do it for financial stuff. In these days of "tap to pay" phones and such people can and do lose 10s of thousands of dollars if their phone is stolen and unlocked or using something easy to crack to unlock like a simple gesture.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 03:22 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Lastpass was hit with a data leak hack some time ago. I use BitWarden (Free, no subscription). The other thing I do with suspicious e-mails is to show the entire header (it should be under the "View" drop down in your mail program (it may be different with various mail clients) It is usually pretty simple to sort through the long header and determine if, in fact, the sender is who you think it is. Youcan also use IP lookup to determine the actual sender (many times it comes up with a ...ru or ...ua, a DEFINITE hack!). Booster needs to go to his Verizon account on his PC and do "forgot password" to initiate setting up a new password, and of course, keep 2 factor login.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote