Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Photo editing issues lately

I don't know if this relates to many of the current spurt of questions about getting pics into posts on the forum, or if they are just learning curve things, but I have run into a very suddenly arriving of problems with getting my photos edited to make them more suitable to post.

I have used an old Photoshop 7 program for literally decades without issue up to a few weeks ago when it started to say the color protocol of my pics didn't match what was in Photoshop. It gave some options of what to do and they would open, but then it was impossible to save them in any format. If I opened them in Paint and then just saved them as PNG then photoshop was OK with. Most time even worked if Paint saved in JPEG.

It appears that what happened was on the last update to our Samsung S24 phones, they changed the color protocol to something that is newer and enough different that Photoshop can't handle it. Apparently Paint, when saving and using it translates it to a protocol that is different and usable with Photoshop.

I also tried to use IceCream Photo editor, that used to work fine, and while it would open and save the pix the picture quality went bad with dotted lines along color boundaries and other odd stuff.

I tried a bunch of other editors and most were OK with protocol, but were either too simple, too complex, or too expensive for my purpose. Then I ran across GIMP which appears to be a near clone of the old Photoshop 7, but with better translators for protocol and it opened the S24 pix fine, but only saves in the GiMP's own format. It is a couple extra steps, but you can export it as several other formats JPG and PNG. Once done, those pix were OK with Photoshop even so should also be good for most websites.

I don't know if the protocol change is a Samsung or Android general change, so can't say if other phones may wind up with the same issue.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I stopped using Adobe Lightroom 6 (similar to Photoshop) since they stopped supporting new lens profiles and forced folks to switch to subscription mode. For a few years now I use ON1 and Capture One software which are good substitutes for the Adobe Lightroom. On some occasions I use Paint.

In case of ON1 and Capture One I found that the most reliable way to post pictures correctly is to export them in JPEG format to another folder first and then post. Most common issues such as rotation are eliminated. I rarely use my Samsung S22 for posting, primarily PC.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I stopped using Adobe Lightroom 6 (similar to Photoshop) since they stopped supporting new lens profiles and forced folks to switch to subscription mode. For a few years now I use ON1 and Capture One software which are good substitutes for the Adobe Lightroom. On some occasions I use Paint.

In case of ON1 and Capture One I found that the most reliable way to post pictures correctly is to export them in JPEG format to another folder first and then post. Most common issues such as rotation are eliminated. I rarely use my Samsung S22 for posting, primarily PC.

I use capture software a lot for picture, but I use Gadwin Screenprint that allows me to easily catch a rectangular box for the pic and copy it out as a file for posting or straight to the printer for printing. The other screenprinters I have tried are a pain to use that way as you have to crop and all kinds of other steps to get it done. Takes about 15 seconds for me.

I then will take the pic and put it in Photoshop, now GIMP, to size, rotate, or adjust the color or brightness. Save and post.

On edit, I can still use Photoshop with the screenprint pics as the only problem with color protocol comes from our S24 Samsung phones, and they only started giving problems in the last few weeks.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:25 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I find Irfranview https://www.irfanview.com/
1. free
2. simple - easier tha n GIMP [that i do like} and Photoshop (she uses it and helps me)
3. and, works on many platforms.
Can't speak to your change to new version for Samsung. Maybe something going on there? Have you tried to revert to earlier update? Might be the problem.

Best of luck!

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote

« Carado Banff parts | - »