Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2024, 12:28 AM   #1

Unhappy Remote Gen start

Gen started with remote start just fine but now does not work any tips on that would be welcome. I still need to get under the van to start at the gen which I will do next.
Jerry Nug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Guessing the switch. Shut off power, remove switch, turn power back on and jump the switch. If you can jump it, then it's the switch. Here is a link for the new one, but make sure it's the same. https://norwall.com/products/cummins...witch-300-5331
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM   #3
Platinum Member

As Tom suggested, first try taking the switch out and jumping the start wire to the ground wire (you should be able to find a wiring sketch online) and if that works then it is the switch. I had the same problem with my 1999 RT 170, and it was not the switch, but perhaps a bad ground somewhere (but nowhere I could get to) or just that the wiring had gotten old and incresed resistence in the start wire. I needed to run a new start wire part of the way to fix the problem.
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:11 PM   #4
Platinum Member

. . . also, I was assuming that you can start it from the switch on the generator itself. just not using the remote switch. But re-reading your post, maybe that is not right - if you can't start it from the switch on the generator itself either, then my previous reply isn't relevant.
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote