Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2024, 03:52 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Multimeter Recommendation Needed

I need to buy a new multimeter as my current meters each have a problem. Would like clamp ammeter capability, though having that as a separate meter would be OK if there is not a suitable all-in-one unit. Suggestions?

Present meters:
UNI-T UT210 (8 years old): this is a compact unit with clamp ammeter. I like the functionality, particularly for carrying in the camper. Unit it has become flaky in operation and I don’t trust it anymore. Current reviews are mixed, so not sure I would trust getting another.

Fluke 87 (~20 yo): this meter served well but died a few years ago. Reviews of newer Fluke meters are mixed, with concern that quality has dropped, though price remains high.

Craftsman 82345 (~15 yo): volt reading is off by 0.3 volts (at 12 volt DC measurement). General use OK but don’t trust for accurate needs.

Harbor Freight (~15 yo): this cheapo meter works surprisingly well for quick checks. Not accurate for critical measurements.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 04:42 PM   #2
Platinum Member

EXTECH MA445 has what you need, I think.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 04:46 PM   #3
Platinum Member

https://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...BoCDVYQAvD_BwE

I use often AEMC CM605 Low AC/DC Clamp meter, Fluke 289, I still have an old HP multimeter with lead acid batteries and red LED. Some of the Extechs are OK, for example EX5XX or EX4XX
GeorgeRa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 05:57 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I just replaced all my meters in the last couple of years.

I have two Bryman multimeters. The first is 5 digit that was necessary because the lithium batteries need to balanced to the 4th digit after the decimal point. I use it only for critical work where extreme accuracy is needed.

The second is a Bryman 4 digit that is smaller and lighter, but not as accurate. This is my everyday meter.

The third is a Klein clamp on that also works as a multimeter.

For a clamp on of any brand make absolutely certain that they include DC amps as many of them don't these days in the lower end stuff.

The reason I have a separate clamp on is for testing stuff when I need to see amps and volts at the same time, which you can't do with a combo meter like the Klein.

All of them work well, and the I like the Bryman as well as the $800 plus Flukes I have had and used at work also. Bryman is much less expensive for the same accuracy and features and has stellar history. The Greenlee meters you see many electricians use are made by Bryman.

https://www.amazon.com/EEVblog-BM786...s%2C185&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/EEVblog-BM235...s%2C185&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/Auto-Ranging-...s%2C163&sr=8-1
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2024, 04:20 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I have been using the KAIWEETS HT208D Inrush Clamp Meter. It has worked well for the van and a few other battery projects. There is probably a newer version since I purchased mine. For general farm use I still use the simpler Klein meters.
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2024, 12:37 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I've been happy with this one.

UNI-T UT210D Digital AC/DC Current Voltage Resistance Capacitance Clamp Meter https://a.co/d/1o1SuUH
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 05:21 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileCabin View Post
I have been using the KAIWEETS HT208D Inrush Clamp Meter. It has worked well for the van and a few other battery projects. There is probably a newer version since I purchased mine. For general farm use I still use the simpler Klein meters.
I recently got the HT206D and like it so far. Really has much more functionality than I need at the moment, but just in case... Easy to read, and does DC current as well.

For daily use, I still have a very old, very simple Craftsman that just won't die. Also a bunch of those HFT ones that I just throw in my cars. Probably no great accuracy, but will tell if there is juice or continuity or not. :P