Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2024, 10:16 AM   #1

Default Leisure Battery for a Winnebago Travato

I recently bought a second hand Winnebago Travato camper van. Great compact vehicle. I love it! All going well but there’s a problem with the leisure battery. The factory installed lithium-ion battery is approaching the end of its lifecycle.

I’ve been shopping around for a replacement and have noticed the price of a new one. They’re expensive. Up to $1,000 in some outlets. The lead acid and nickel cadmium battery options are much cheaper. I might switch over to one of these. Are they worth the cost saving or should I stick with a lithium??

Move-On-uP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 11:10 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default I'd Stick With Lithium

If my house battery were a lithium unit from the factory, I'd certainly replace it with a like battery.

I have an old class B that came with a flooded lead acid house battery, which I replaced with an AGM. Even though the two battery types require different charging profiles, I went with the swap anyway. I'm on my second AGM battery in 10 years, which is OK with me.

If you were to replace your lithium battery with one with radically different chemistry, your charging system probably wouldn't know what to do with it, and you might ruin the new battery.

Really, better stick with lithium, IMHO.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2024, 12:10 PM   #3

Good advice. Stick with what the system was designed for.

Thanks
Move-On-uP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago travato