Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2024, 04:29 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Question KS2 Li-ion batteries and alternatives?

I have a 2019 Roadtrek CS Adventurous with solar panels and four 200 Amp-hour (Ah) Li-ion house batteries, made by KS2 in Canada. Three of the batteries are the original L1 model and the 4th is an L2 model because I have already had to replace one of the original L1 batteries within 18 months of purchasing the rig, which we bought new in 2019. Two more of the L1 batteries have now died and I need to replace them. The last L1 battery may not be far behind.

KS2 batteries are extremely expensive compared to other brands that sell comparable Li-ion batteries (Ah & wattage ratings). The price I have been quoted here in Colorado is $3120 each (plus ~$500 shipping; plus ~$1000 installation), so I am looking at about $8k to replace these two batteries. I am wondering if anyone has figured out what it would take to replace all 4 batteries and adjust/modify the other components of the system so that everything works right. Any advice you can provide, being as specific as possible, would be much appreciated. Also, if you can suggest someone capable of performing the work for such a project here in Colorado or elsewhere I would be very grateful.

Thanks very much in advance, Steve
S&S THOMAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 05:30 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S THOMAS View Post
I have a 2019 Roadtrek CS Adventurous with solar panels and four 200 Amp-hour (Ah) Li-ion house batteries, made by KS2 in Canada. Three of the batteries are the original L1 model and the 4th is an L2 model because I have already had to replace one of the original L1 batteries within 18 months of purchasing the rig, which we bought new in 2019. Two more of the L1 batteries have now died and I need to replace them. The last L1 battery may not be far behind.

KS2 batteries are extremely expensive compared to other brands that sell comparable Li-ion batteries (Ah & wattage ratings). The price I have been quoted here in Colorado is $3120 each (plus ~$500 shipping; plus ~$1000 installation), so I am looking at about $8k to replace these two batteries. I am wondering if anyone has figured out what it would take to replace all 4 batteries and adjust/modify the other components of the system so that everything works right. Any advice you can provide, being as specific as possible, would be much appreciated. Also, if you can suggest someone capable of performing the work for such a project here in Colorado or elsewhere I would be very grateful.

Thanks very much in advance, Steve
I am not going to help you regarding Lithium batteries replacement being the owner of new AGM batteries replacing over 11-year-old ones but question such a short life of your lithium ones – what caused their fatal failures?
GeorgeRa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 06:35 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Sounds like a can of worms. FWIW I found a link that might help, if you have the same or similar setup:

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...-diy-8976.html
Old 07-26-2024, 10:30 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Unfortunately, I really have no idea regarding the cause(s) of these battery failures, but it does suggest a quality issue with the design of the battery, frankly. The last 3 winters, we have spent in southern California, so they haven't even been exposed very much to cold temps.
Old 07-26-2024, 10:35 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Michael, thanks for your reply and the link to the prior post, which is an interesting similar situation. This is the kind of person I need to talk with, so I will try to contact him and see how things came out for him.

Steve
Old 07-26-2024, 10:47 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, I really have no idea regarding the cause(s) of these battery failures, but it does suggest a quality issue with the design of the battery, frankly. The last 3 winters, we have spent in southern California, so they haven't even been exposed very much to cold temps.

I am certainly not an expert, or even a user, of the KS2 batteries but in general, most of the lithium cells are pretty similar from what I have read. This doesn't include the recent use of more of the "reconditioned" or sorted out less than stellar cells, though.

Roadtrek has had lots of failures, it appears, since the very beginning, so you have to be suspect of the system related to the lithium cells themselves. Without seeing in person how they control, charge, discharge, and protect the cells none of us will have any idea what is going on. What is interesting is that there really doesn't appear to be much in analysis of just what is bad in the Roadtrek system. That makes it possible that perhaps everything is substandard and contributing.

Roadtrek used quite a few "private label" non mainstream, components, in the systems they made in those periods, including the lithium packages, so that may be part of it. Failures of those parts has been pretty common. Do they allow to much charge percent, to fast discharges, to low SOC before shutdown, all are unknown to me at least.

Replacing the KS2 batteries is not really cost effective, it appears. It may be money ahead to find a reputable, maybe Victron installer for instance or equivalent, to design and install a complete, matched, time tested system. In the longer timeframe you probably would come out better from cost, hassle, and reliability standpoint.

Much of the knowledge and experience in this stuff seems to be with the marine tech systems and installers, and that almost guaranties higher costs, so be prepared.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 11:07 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Booster,

Thanks for your thoughts and the suggestion about Victron. I will check into them as a possibility.

Steve
Old 07-27-2024, 02:59 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
The early batteries were problematic and have been improved quite a lot... but they seem to me to be insanely overpriced to get down here and install.

My suggestion is when you get to California next, head to Edge Vanworks east of San Francisco. He (Gordon) started out rescuing the orphan Hymers left behind by the bankruptcy and knows the Ecotrek systems well. I have heard that he is currently changing out lots of Roadtrek Promaster models from KS2 to more off-the-shelf reasonably priced less temperamental systems. I'd give him a call. Likely not cheap, but at least he knows what the heck he is doing.

https://edgevanworks.com/

There are not any outstanding Colorado options... maybe Van City? I think they are a RT dealer, but haven't heard much buzz on them over on our owner pages on FB.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2024, 01:42 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Mumkin, Thanks for the excellent suggestion! I will contact Gordon at Edge VanWorks and see what he can do for me. Livermore is a reasonable target from southern California this fall/winter.

Many thanks, Steve
Old 08-01-2024, 05:04 PM   #10

Default Batteries

If you search ecotrek free you will find lots of info about replacing ecotrek batteries which have been a nightmare for many owners.
Since you already have batteries inside your van I would look into putting new batteries in that location and eliminating your outside ecotreks., you may be able to fit close to the capacity of your 4 ecotreks in that space. Of course this will require a new wiring and control setup and you may end up replacing your inverter charger/charger too so it will be an expensive solution but you will be free of Ecotrek.
Durango RV repair has developed a method of rebuilding ecotrek batteries inside their boxes, you might call him.
Moto vita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 05:18 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Moto Vita,
Thanks for your reply and the contact at Durango RV, which at least is in the same state as I am living.
I do not have batteries inside the RV; only 4 EcoTreks underneath in the rear of the Sprinter. There is really no space inside the RV where I could put these large batteries. I will contact Durango RV and see what they have to say, but I am also pursuing a complete battery replacement strategy with Edge VanWorks in Livermore, CA. Thanks again to Mumkin for that lead.
Old 08-01-2024, 05:24 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Moto Vita,
Thanks also for the hint about "EcoTrek Free". Did not know about this faceBook group. I hadn't looked before I responded previously. Thanks again.
Old 08-01-2024, 05:34 PM   #13

My mistake I thout on the 4 ecotrek system 2 of the batteries were inside the van. In that case I'd be more inclined to try to use the ecotrek boxes that you have.
Moto vita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 07:48 PM   #14

I have a 2018 Road Trek RS Adventurous and rebuilt both of my KS2 batteries using the under-chassis boxes. As for what caused our problems, I think that lithium has come a long way in a short period of time and in the beginning the BMS was not as reliable as they are now along with how they were wired and set to charge (My KS2 batteries were wired wrong and the Balmar Charge settings as Recommended by KS2 now are way different than my unit was set and I think these 2 things were a big contributor to the failure of the relays and cell.) As far as my batteries I found one dead cell out of the 8 and decided to rebuild the 200AH using old cells and build a new one using 280AH cells. After a lot of YouTube videos and research I decided to use Sun Fun Kits for my new BMS and cells along with active balancers, heat pads, some cable, lugs and their mounting risers. I did not use their box or prebuilt battery. I am very happy with how my system works now and strongly recommend SFK if you're looking to save money and capable of doing the work. I have less than $2000.00 dollars in both my batteries including other tools and supplies needed to complete the build. I have pics attached that will show before and after. New at this forum stuff but willing to help as much as possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6993.jpg (279.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7146.jpg (274.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7144.jpg (253.1 KB, 12 views)
D&C ERV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 12:50 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&C ERV2 View Post
... I decided to use Sun Fun Kits for my new BMS and cells along with active balancers, heat pads, some cable, lugs and their mounting risers. I did not use their box or prebuilt battery.
I like how you've done this. Current generation cells and BMS with the original well designed mechanicals.