Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2024, 04:05 PM   #1

Default Great West Legend wiring

Bought this van used. Has electric and propane water heater. Element wasn’t working traced the problem to find someone had disconnected the wiring to the switch. Cannot find where it connects to. Also cannot find wiring diagram for 2011 Great West Legend.
HELP!!!!
Thanks!
SHERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2024, 09:39 PM   #2
Site Team

Are you talking about the switch to the electric water heater? What kind of electric water heater does it have?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:10 AM   #3

The switch is intact the wiring was disconnected from the source so no power gets to it. I can splice into 110v but without knowing what is carried on circuit it may overload. I was hoping someone had wiridiagram or knew which circuit to connect to.
Old Yesterday, 03:15 AM   #4

Suburban SW6DE
Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM   #5
Site Team

Since that is a 1400 watt heater, one would hope that it was allocated its own circuit breaker. If you can ID that breaker, you start at the breaker panel and trace forward, maybe?
Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM   #6

That’s why I need wiring diagram or someone with same set up. My panel does not show a dedicated breaker. If I knew what loads were carried on breakers I could tapin.
Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Since that is a 1400 watt heater, one would hope that it was allocated its own circuit breaker. If you can ID that breaker, you start at the breaker panel and trace forward, maybe?
Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHERMAN View Post
That’s why I need wiring diagram or someone with same set up. My panel does not show a dedicated breaker. If I knew what loads were carried on breakers I could tapin.
There is a limited number of high-power AC appliances in a camper van which could be mapped to individual CBs on the control panel, I assume all CBs are marked for amperage and labeled to some degree.

Can you trace the wire from water heater’s electric rod to the panel using a wire tracer?
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM   #8

Amperage yes description not much. There is no wire to trace. For some unknown reason the wires were pulled out the ends left exposed using the length of the wire there is nothing in range. There is a 110v duplex behind fridge which I am going to connect to since the fridge is low amperage. The only other item connected to this is the converter according to the tag someone put next to cb. I know the converter doesn’t run continuously but have no idea amps.
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM   #9

Any idea what the amp draw is on the 110v going into inverter when it’s charging can’t find spec anywhere. I’m assuming it’s low
Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Any idea what the amp draw is on the 110v going into inverter when it’s charging can’t find spec anywhere. I’m assuming it’s low
Assuming your converter/charger would provide 50ADC at 14VDC your AC draw on 110VAC side would be about 7A assuming 90% efficiency.
Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM   #11

Thanks for the assist!
Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Assuming your converter/charger would provide 50ADC at 14VDC your AC draw on 110VAC side would be about 7A assuming 90% efficiency.

If Avanti has the correct watt draw of the heater at 1400 watts, that would indicate a need or about 140amps on inverter including 20% inefficiency.

In that era, the water heater would probably be AC or propane switchable if it has an electric heater element. Never intended to run on inverter, only to save propane when on shore power.

The wire is probably disconnected because the heater failed, maybe shorted. The wire may or may not be compromised, but it would need to be checked out. Past owners rarely disconnect stuff if they are still working, so the odds of the it working if power is applied are probably very, very low.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
If Avanti has the correct watt draw of the heater at 1400 watts, that would indicate a need or about 140amps on inverter including 20% inefficiency.

In that era, the water heater would probably be AC or propane switchable if it has an electric heater element. Never intended to run on inverter, only to save propane when on shore power.

The wire is probably disconnected because the heater failed, maybe shorted. The wire may or may not be compromised, but it would need to be checked out. Past owners rarely disconnect stuff if they are still working, so the odds of the it working if power is applied are probably very, very low.

I had similar water heaters with electric heaters and just assumed that OP was talking about 110VAC circuit. If previous owner disconnected the heater the remaining wiring should still be left there, perhaps tracing it could help. I have 750W AC heater in my Isotemp and never power it from my 1000W inverter.

I used a wire tracer extensively on my previous RVs/Boats as most of them didn’t have any electrical diagrams. Cheap one for $15 should be OK https://www.harborfreight.com/cable-...8aAu_LEALw_wcB
Old Yesterday, 11:07 PM   #14

It is 110v element not run off inverter. I was going tap into inverter / fridge circuit if amp draw was low enough. The leads coming off the heater are about 14” long there is nothing visible to trace. Don’t know why anyone would do that. I’m going to check each cab to see what load is on each. Just thought wiring diagram would make it easier.
Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
It is 110v element not run off inverter. I was going tap into inverter / fridge circuit if amp draw was low enough. The leads coming off the heater are about 14” long there is nothing visible to trace. Don’t know why anyone would do that. I’m going to check each cab to see what load is on each. Just thought wiring diagram would make it easier.
If you have 3-way fridge it could draw 3A on 120VAC so with hopefully 15A available at the outlet you should be OK. Did you attempt to see the back side of the CBs panel?
Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM   #16
Site Team

Is it possible that is was NEVER hooked up? Do the pigtails look used?
Old Today, 12:00 AM   #17

Yes pigtails were used and I’ve ordered new element since other out of spec. Like I stated earlier made no sense why someone did this. I think originally it may have been wired with duplex in shower but again no wiring. Thanks for the help just have some time consuming checking circuits ahead.

Tags
water heater element, wiring