Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2021, 08:03 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default electricity hook up working?

New owner of 1997 Xplorer Had it one week Learning all about it Today I plugged it in The cord that came with it is 120/30,to the outside house plug-- which does work, I tried something else there. We hear a faint hum when it is plugged in. MICrowave works, but frig will not come on; I took off panel and it is plugged in. All circuit breakers in the inside panel are on .
I have not tried to see if it comes on with gas as gas is way down on my list to use for anything . MICrowave works. Water pump works. Now would those work if I was not plugged in/off the auxiliary battery? I have small solar panel but no inverter yet so I must get energy from the auxiliary battery or the cord yes ?The engine will not run frig?
Hmm how does the auxiliary battery get charged?

HUsband looked/ He cannot figure it out either / I could call the man I bought it from I guess
Thanks
Jeana
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:16 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeana View Post
New owner of 1997 Xplorer Had it one week Learning all about it Today I plugged it in The cord that came with it is 120/30,to the outside house plug-- which does work, I tried something else there. We hear a faint hum when it is plugged in.
Could be normal, maybe a fan on your inverter/converter.

MICrowave works,
Hurray!

but frig will not come on; I took off panel and it is plugged in. All circuit breakers in the inside panel are on.
Is there a switch to change the power source the fridge runs on? Some switch automatically, but many do not.

I have not tried to see if it comes on with gas as gas is way down on my list to use for anything.
No time like the present. Give the propane system a workout: fridge, stovetop, furnace, and water heater.

MICrowave works. Water pump works. Now would those work if I was not plugged in/off the auxiliary battery?
Microwave, no. Water pump, definitely (so long as main battery switch is on).

I have small solar panel but no inverter yet so I must get energy from the auxiliary battery or the cord yes ?
Without a solar controller, your engergy sources are batteries, cord, generator, and from the engine alternator. But realize, high use appliances (ac, microwave, fridge on electric) run directly from the cord power while also charging batteries. Low use appliances (lights, fans, fridge on propane) run off the batteries.

The engine will not run frig?
It should, but since your fridge is not running on cord, then you've got some trouble-shooting to do.

Hmm how does the auxiliary battery get charged?
By generator, cord, engine alternator (when driving), and solar if you have panels and a controller.

HUsband looked/ He cannot figure it out either / I could call the man I bought it from I guess
I'd definitely call him. Hopefully he will be helpful. Just let him know you're not complaining about your van, just trying to scale a huge learning-curve.

Thanks
Jeana

See comments above.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:45 PM   #3
Bronze Member

On my 2004 Xplorer, The fridge will only work on AC when the generator is running or plugged into shore power. The fridge will only run on DC when the engine is running. The small solar panel on the roof is only to help maintain a charge, its not more than about a 15 watt panel and is wired to the charge monitor on the front right as you walk in the door. Not sure if your rig is the same, this is only how mine works.
billn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 04:33 AM   #4
Platinum Member

The fridge on electric will be completely silent. The fridge will take an hour or two just feel some cold in the freezer, likely 10-12 hours to cool both the freezer and fridge sections. Nature of the beast.

Do try to get comfortable with using propane, it is your only reasonable option with that fridge if you intend to dry camp.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:51 PM   #5
Silver Member

Steve gets the prize
1 No it wil lnot make a noise No compressor
2 I had to plug it in overnight the former owner said DUh!
Oh we are so new at this
I live near Farmngton MAine where a building exploded last yr so I think we skip LP gas for now The purpose of the van is for spouse to take his bikes and skiis( now we need a bike rack, though for now will take out third seat and maneuver the mtn bike in there) and go on a road trip He can now pullover and sleep This was hard for him when he just took his car since he tires easily. Now he has a bed and a bathroom and can keep drinks cold with a frozen jug in the frig He has it made
Yo guys are fabulous!!

I made wood leveling bds today
Trial first run to a campground near a stae forest in a week or two
Cracks me up as we live in a very rural place and a "campground" will be an urban noisy ghetto!
we are really glad to have gotten this van
Jeana
Old 06-03-2021, 12:31 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Steve gets the prize
1 No it wil lnot make a noise No compressor
2 I had to plug it in overnight the former owner said DUh!
Oh we are so new at this
I live near Farmngton MAine where a building exploded last yr so I think we skip LP gas for now The purpose of the van is for spouse to take his bikes and skiis( now we need a bike rack, though for now will take out third seat and maneuver the mtn bike in there) and go on a road trip He can now pullover and sleep This was hard for him when he just took his car since he tires easily. Now he has a bed and a bathroom and can keep drinks cold with a frozen jug in the frig He has it made
Yo guys are fabulous!!

Cracks me up as we live in a very rural place and a "campground" will be an urban noisy ghetto!
Jeana
We live in Tavares, FL., about two miles from the propane plant that blew up a couple/three years ago, 20 pounders were raining from the sky along with all of the explosions. But we boondock and we use the propane. Two to four hours running that fridge on 12 volts without either the genny or engine running will fully deplete the house battery. A few of those occurrences will ruin the battery.

You may want to seriously consider a marine type 12 volt compressor fridge if you intend to not be hooked up to electricity in rv parks or not use propane. Dry camping with an absorption fridge without using propane will not end well.

Enjoy the new ride.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 11:28 PM   #7
Bronze Member

So glad you got your answers. You hope will love this motorhome as much as I have. I have thought over and over about wanting more room, but I hate giving up this RV. By the way, I am a female owner and have traveled over 100,000 miles in an Xplorer in US and Canada with only another female companion. I make sure a mechanic checks it out each season before I take off and have little or no trouble on the road. I wish you all the best.
By the way, I have used the propane almost exclusively on the road and have had no problems, except age. Coincidently it was while camping in Freeport when visiting LLBean. Found a great shop there and had it repaired in record time and for what I considered a bargain.
drsdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:50 AM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
Yo guys are fabulous!!

Jeana
Welcome and congrats on your van. We live in New Gloucester Maine and have a '98 Pleasure Way. We also mountain bike and we use a 1up rack on the trailer hitch.

If you are concerned about propane you should have an authorized dealer check it out. It is really the only way to run that fridge effectively when not driving or connected to power. Also, do not drive and run the fridge on propane as an accident could rupture a gas line. The good thing is that your tank is external with only a few lines going into the van. If you have a leak outside the gas disperses very quickly. It is also heavier than air so much less likely to enter the van from below.

Your van should have a CO2 and a propane detector. Make sure they are current. I think it is recommended to replace very 5 years.

One of the better campgrounds in your area is mt. Blue state park. Although I do not think they have any hookups or very few. For boondocking head to Carrabassett or Titcomb(i think it is ok there).

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions.
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 05:39 PM   #9
Silver Member

Thanks all Our first trial trip for 2 days is on MONday
Then spouse heads out west Working on bike rack for his two BUT just checking --ppease--do we dare run the microwave A while driving for say a 2min boil water or when parked not plugged in ? We do not yet have an inverter though the tiny solar panel you have informed me does not produce much. In my owner info I see nothing about solar! Probably will carry thermos to have hot water in AM We are still working up to the LP ...Husand is not gonna cook State and national parks do not have hookups very often.... Without the third seat we hang up o ne bike nicely inside with wheel in cabinet Eventfully will need three bike sapce A saris ex bone s is in the mail to try. You guys are great
Old 06-09-2021, 06:10 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks all Our first trial trip for 2 days is on MONday
Then spouse heads out west Working on bike rack for his two BUT just checking --ppease--do we dare run the microwave A while driving for say a 2min boil water or when parked not plugged in ? We do not yet have an inverter though the tiny solar panel you have informed me does not produce much. In my owner info I see nothing about solar! Probably will carry thermos to have hot water in AM We are still working up to the LP ...Husand is not gonna cook State and national parks do not have hookups very often.... Without the third seat we hang up o ne bike nicely inside with wheel in cabinet Eventfully will need three bike sapce A saris ex bone s is in the mail to try. You guys are great

You can't run the microwave on batteries without an inverter as it is pure AC power. Has to be from shore power or generator if you have no inverter.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote