Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2024, 05:39 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Eberspacher Airtronics D2, Hydronics D5, Easy Start Timer.

On the recent camping trip the EasyStart Timer (EST) displayed “no signal”, there was no way to activate neither space nor water heating. Next morning the same story – “no signal”.

I use EST to thermostatically control Eberspacher (Espar) Airtronics D2 and turn on/off Hydronic D5 with Isotemp for water heating.

A short manual recommended to check the Airtronics heater fuse, it was OK. Before the trip I replaced the Eberspacher yhe B9 temperature sensor with a B8 sensor following recommendation from the Eberspacher Germany. The Airtronics D2 was working with B9 sensor but I had to offset the thermostat temperature setpoint by (-11*F). I thought I did make a mistake in rewiring hence “no signal”. I didn’t remember how to get into the Diagnostic section of EST and there was no internet coverage, so no heating for this camping trip.

We got home and I started to read loads of threads regarding “EST – No Signal”, great, I wasn’t alone. Got back to the van to read the fault list on the diagnostic section of the EST. Found the heater was working again and no fault were listed. Seems as intermittent problem. But temperature displayed on EST was 10*F higher than actual, so I went from -11*F offset set point with B9 sensor to +10*F wrong ambient reading with B8 sensor.

I searched for help on forums, Heatso from UK where I purchased the B8 sensor and the Eberspacher support group in Germany. I included my wiring scheme in emails to Heatso and Eberspacher.

I got a very quick response from the Eberspacher support group with recommendation: my B8 sensor was wired incorrectly to the Airtronics D2 instead of to the EasyStart Timer directly, my mistake. I rewired the sensor connecting it directly to EST.

After rewiring my EST displayed “no signal” again, this time I entered diagnostic page which pointed to “no connection” to Hydronic D5 (to enter diagostics - Display “Wrench” > left/right arrow to “Clock” > Left lower button 5 seconds). I disconnected the EST connector, connected again, eureka, it worked. I looked closer to the electrical connectors end noticed some gray corrosion deposits. I cleaned all contacts, added some dielectric grease and hope this issue has been resolved. The EST displayed actual temperature; problems solved.

I solved two problems:
- Intermittent “no signal” fault resulted from bad electrical contact on eSt connecotr
- B8 sensor was wired incorrectly.
Attached Images
File Type: png B8 B9 Temp sensors.png (76.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Electrical schematic EST 10 8 2024.jpg (56.3 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EasyStart Timer Manual 22.1000.34.1503_EN_0324 10 7 2024.pdf (3.40 MB, 0 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
easystart timer, est