Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2024, 02:00 PM   #1

Default Dometic 2354 doesn't cool on 12V DC

Roadtrek 2015 Chevy 170V. Dometic 2354 doesn't cool at all on 12V. Propane and 120V work fine. Any problem running it on AC mode with inverter on while driving? The AC indicator does light up on only coach battery with inverter turned on. Any chance of damaging fridge or inverter? Can alternator keep up as well as on 12 volt mode?
Bryan JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 02:08 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan JR View Post
Roadtrek 2015 Chevy 170V. Dometic 2354 doesn't cool at all on 12V. Propane and 120V work fine. Any problem running it on AC mode with inverter on while driving? The AC indicator does light up on only coach battery with inverter turned on. Any chance of damaging fridge or inverter? Can alternator keep up as well as on 12 volt mode?
I usually drive an 05 190P on ac with the coach batteries charging, two 100 amp agm batteries. Occasionally on propane, dc never.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 05:34 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Interesting questions. I've always pondered about running on AC with an inverter when driving. Historically the 12v option on Dometic fridges never really cooled. It was only capable of "keeping" the cool. There should be separate 120v and 12v heating elements/rods in your fridge. Dometic service manuals give the resistance reading on each so you can (I have) test them to see if your 12v element is shot and needs replacing. I've also heard that it's possible to replace the 12v with a higher rated output version.

So on my older RM2310 for example, the 12v resistance should be 1.15ohms with a +/- 10%. The 12v puts out 125w and the 120v 160w. So the 120v does give you more heat. But, like I said, I believe you can upgrade the 12v one to a higher w output that might be closer to the 120v.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 09:19 PM   #4
Gold Member

I don’t think there is any damage potential in that operating mode. I consider the additional power required for the added DC-AC conversion to be negligible.

Is the refrigerator AC receptacle energized when the inverter is on? If so. thats what I would do. My guess is that the DC heater burned out.
GroupB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 09:34 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Fix it. Should be easy. AC doesn’t care where the power comes from. Will work fine.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 11:39 PM   #6

I can only get AC power by turning on the inverter, even when plugged into shore power. I was told fridge wasn't connected to inverter, but mine apparently is - indicator lights up.

By the way, what's the difference between power saver vs nonpower saver mode on inverter? Manual just recommends "non" for general use.

Also, my burners could be lit with build in piezo unit that has failed. Can that be replaced?

Thanks for all the feedback.
Bryan JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 04:24 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Also, my burners could be lit with build in piezo unit that has failed. Can that be replaced?
Are you talking about the stove? You mention that the fridge worked fine on propane so I assume so. We just use one of those candle lighters that puts out an arc. Don't know your stove but assume the ignitor could be replaced.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote