Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2024, 02:03 PM   #1

Default Coachmen Galleria BIM/BCC location?

Howdy, recently bought a 2016 Galleria with two dead coach batteries so I plan on upgrading to Li...

I have teh batteries, a new converter, solar controller, and DC-DC charger.

I have looked all over/under the unit trying to locate the BIM or BCC so I can wire in the DC-DC charger... no luck....

Under driver/passenger seats - Nope
In wheelwell where all the wireing/transfering/converting kit is - Nope
Under sink - Nope

Has anyone stumbled upon one and could give me a hint? Is it possible there is no interconnection between chasis and coach?
Perhaps I dont need to worry with just two 100Ah Li batteries and let the alternator do what it can?

Thanks for the help!
flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 11:23 PM   #2
Platinum Member

The location of the house electric components is related to the floor plan. We have a 2020 Galleria 24A. The devices you mention are located under the driver side bed in our coach.
Old 06-02-2024, 01:15 PM   #3

Thanks I figured it out... There is no BIP or BCC in the 2016...

There was a single line originating under the drivers seat connected to a blown 20amp in-line fuse.

In the back drivers rear-wheel enclosure it terminated on the line-in post of a cole hersee isolator... The house batteries were connected to one of the battery terminal posts... Strange to have a cole hersee isolator when nothing was connected to the second battery terminal post.

All good now, left the 20amp fuse and line from under drivers seat and it now feeds a 20amp DC-DC...
Old 06-02-2024, 02:57 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
Thanks I figured it out... There is no BIP or BCC in the 2016...

There was a single line originating under the drivers seat connected to a blown 20amp in-line fuse.

In the back drivers rear-wheel enclosure it terminated on the line-in post of a cole hersee isolator... The house batteries were connected to one of the battery terminal posts... Strange to have a cole hersee isolator when nothing was connected to the second battery terminal post.

All good now, left the 20amp fuse and line from under drivers seat and it now feeds a 20amp DC-DC...

I find it pretty odd that a 2016 van with likely about 200ah of deep cycle batteries would have only 20 amps of engine charging as the batteries will accept a lot more than that. How were they limiting the charging amps to batteries so they didn't blow the fuse all the time? It is also very slow charging unless you also had other sources like solar at the same time.

Are you a very low power user?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 09:16 PM   #5

indeed, very strange, almost like alternator charging was an afterthought and there was no control or limiting at all... fuse probably blew as it drove off assembly line. all good now after my li conversion except...
I used to be able to run ac off of a 20amp plug into house. Now with lithium charging from new converter I can't, or it exceeds my 20amp breaker... guess when in driveway I need to either charge batteries first or add a manual battery disconnect to prevent the 55 amp draw when ac running...
wonder if the 2500kw genset can run both the ac and the 55amp converter...
Old 06-06-2024, 05:06 PM   #6
Bronze Member

In my searches for a used 24A, I noticed a significant difference between 2016 model (didn't find any older) and the 2017 and later units. I am not sure if that was a first-run year, but they definitely made a lot of changes in 2017, some of which I think were technical improvements such as fusing and wire gauge sizing.
sparkyfourhire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bim, bip, dc-dc, galleria, lithium