Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2024, 06:06 PM   #1
TSF

Default charge voltage limit from solar panel

The solar panel on my Beyond 22D doesn't charge the Li batteries more than 12.9 V (shore power does).
TSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2024, 06:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSF View Post
The solar panel on my Beyond 22D doesn't charge the Li batteries more than 12.9 V (shore power does).
That is very interesting, to be sure.

I am big on not charging at high voltages, but that is very low.

I just looked at the specs for a Beyond 22D current model and the solar controller (from owner manual), and none of it makes much sense.

The Go Power says it transitions to float at 14.9 amps from absorption at 14.4v and van specs say you have 195 watts of solar.

195 watts of solar is not going to ever give you 14.9 amps so it will always be in float.

It says it floats at 13.6v for default AGM setting and 14.0v for lithium so it would depend on how yours is set.

It also has an absorption timer max at 4 hours before float, but you will never get to absorption, because of the 14.9 amp switch point.

Based on all this, it appears that it should be charging at 13.6v or 14.0v all the time except at night as there doesn't appear to be a float max timer. Minimum start is only 3v so it should start even with a mostly dead battery.

13.6v, depending on what battery type and bank size you have should charge unless the battery is full for AGM when the current will go very low. Lithium at 12.9 will take way more at 12.9v battery voltage and 13.6 charging.

I just ran a test last week with our lithium bank at 13.27v and charging off solar at 13.4v and it was charging at 14 amps on 300 watts of solar.

There appears to be something odd going on with you solar charging, I think.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2024, 03:29 PM   #3
TSF

Default thanks

Thanks for the detailed response.
TSF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar chargeing problem