Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2021, 10:15 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default 120 V use

Hi Brand new RV owner USed 1997 Xplorer in great shape 31,000miles Owner's manual not so great. It says " Be sure to turn the circuit breaker back to an on position after a connection or disconnection to an outside power source" I cannot understand this. I cannot find any breaker box The prior owner said basically here is the cord. plug this in here and into a hookup Can someone help?
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:00 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I assume they are talking about the circuit breaker on the Power pole.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:37 PM   #3
Silver Member

Umm Thanks for the fast reply I have no idea what a power pole is Not mentioned in manual Manual seems to say there is a circuit box in left rear-- I find nothing
Old 05-29-2021, 11:42 PM   #4
Silver Member

sorry It says in the RIGHT rear.
Old 05-29-2021, 11:45 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Power distribution panels usually have main CB, see the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Power-Distribution-Panel.jpg (55.2 KB, 7 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 03:41 AM   #6
Silver Member

Yes I suppose somethinglike that is what I am looking for Beats me Any Xplorer van folks out there?Ours is 1997
Old 05-30-2021, 04:41 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeana View Post
Yes I suppose somethinglike that is what I am looking for Beats me Any Xplorer van folks out there?Ours is 1997

Welcome to the forum jeana!

There are a lot of Xplorer members here and it seems like more and more are joining recently. I would guess one will see this and help you.

Are you not getting 120v power in your rv when plugged in?

Any possibility if you call the seller they might help you?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:16 PM   #8
Silver Member

I have not plugged it i n .I want to Because I read that sentence about the circuit breakers Dare I p lug it in ? Electricity is hard for me Spouse is leaving it to me- says this sentence about circuit breakers must be to prevent a surge Sigh
What to do? After this its on to the propane - which is really really scary-then I will know all about this vehicle
Old 05-30-2021, 04:55 PM   #9
Silver Member

Red face 120 v

oh for pete sake I found the panel! I said look you are a grown up just look And it was on the left side rear clearly no where near the drawing in the manual Sorry to bother I guess I am to trun all the breakers off ,plug in, turn on Then when I am to disconnect turn off Jeez

Wait til I ask about the solar and LP gas
Old 05-30-2021, 05:01 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hi Brand new RV owner USed 1997 Xplorer in great shape 31,000miles Owner's manual not so great. It says " Be sure to turn the circuit breaker back to an on position after a connection or disconnection to an outside power source" I cannot understand this. I cannot find any breaker box The prior owner said basically here is the cord. plug this in here and into a hookup Can someone help?

I agree with hbn7hj. Campsite power pedestal circuit breakers are often left in the "Off" position. When you plug into one that's off then no power gets to the van. The owners manual is telling you to turn that breaker "On" so that power gets to the van.

Best practice for plugging an RV in is to first turn the campsite power pedestal circuit breaker off before plugging in then turn that circuit breaker back on.

see this video at the 1min 26sec point:
https://youtu.be/cPV5RKvxVLg?t=86
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 07:02 PM   #11
Silver Member

Default 120V

OH LOL The SITE circuit breaker !! We have not gotten out of the driveway yet! Too funny
Jeana
Old 06-03-2021, 04:49 PM   #12

Quote:
OH LOL The SITE circuit breaker !! We have not gotten out of the driveway yet! Too funny
Jeana
Yeah, I was laughing at this too, was pretty sure they were referring to the site outlet, as there are many times when the prior occupant turns off the breaker in the box, and it's a bit of a precaution to plug the cable in, THEN turn the breaker on to prevent arcing/spiking when you plug into a hot outlet. I don't personally think this is that big a deal but a site breaker turned off can leave first-time RVers scratching their head when their unit has no power.

I would suggest you plug your unit in while at home. Just into a normal 110V outlet using the (30A to 15A) adapter that should have come with your van (If not, BUY ONE, see sample picture attached). There's another recent post where the new owner was trying to figure out a low battery issue without first plugging their unit in. Far easier to learn how everything works while you are on "Shore Power".

Have fun.
Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15A to 30A RV pigtail.jpg (31.5 KB, 0 views)
bertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 07:43 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Welcome to the world of Xplorer owners. I am assuming that since it is a 1997, you still have the dropped floor that made it "garageable." I did not see your post until you had found the answer. I have been an owner since 1976, now driving a 2000. I think the last one made was sometime in 2003 when Frank sold the company. You can find a website and although they are no longer making the van, they might help with some questions.
drsdig is offline   Reply With Quote