Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2024, 08:40 PM   #1

Default Research mode - Sleeps 3 w/o Toilet/Bathroom

Hello all!

Newly started down this rabbit of trying to research a Class B camper van, rolling around the idea of purchasing one for my kids and I to go on longer vacations with. I have two kids under ten so trying to find something that will sleep the three of us. I really don't like the idea of having a shower in the van, so trying to find something that doesn't include the shower but sleeps more than two seems to be a unicorn. I did see find the Thor 18T but then I found this website where I've read a lot about quality issues with that brand, so I was really hoping to get pointed in the right direction here.

Thanks in advance!

v/r
FP
Flypaper6877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:25 AM   #2
Platinum Member

You might want to look for a VW Westfalia or similar pop-top van that at has a lower and upper bed plus a further bed across the front of the van over the seats and the steering wheel. There are also vans that have two beds but they are scarce.

Get the kids involved early so they feel like they have some involvement which will pay dividends later when you make your eventual decision work for all of you.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:17 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Avoiding Thor's quality issues is a good idea. Finding a rig without a shower? I assume that you do want a toilet? Yes. If so, there will also be a shower, but there is no rule that you use it. lol Some of the older vans on the Ford and Chevy have the shower in the floor of the aisle, but it is covered up, and you can easily only use the toilet.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM   #4

Thanks for the thoughts and input so far, I appreciate it.

I was thinking of trying to avoid the bathroom all together mumkin. I've seen some with the stashable portopotty which would work for emergency situations but we live on the east coast and have experiences with tripping to KOAs, so if I keep on that idea we never really stay anywhere without a facility. Also the vans I've been seeing that are on the smaller side are 2wd, so I don't see me rolling the dice with what I'm looking to get and going off roading with it.

Those VWs are kind of what I'm thinking, ks@yvr, but I would perfer it to be a little newer (warranty). But yea the idea of a pop top for the kids with a folding bed for me is great, then half the van is a kitchenet with the only water to be worried about being potable and grey tank storage.

Unfortunate about Thor's quality, daughter and I spent some time watching videos on them on YouTube and she was excited over them...lol

Lots more research to do on this! Thanks!

V/r
FP
Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM   #5
Platinum Member

LOL... they all look great in their videos. They don't point out which cabinet tends to fall off or the generator that almost drags on the ground or...

The only way to get everything you want, but nothing you don't want is to do as I did with my last rig. I bought the small Promaster van I wanted with my preferred options, and had it delivered to a small converter who built to my design. The catch for that tends to be getting it tagged and insured as an RV. I had to jump through hoops and make one trip back to the factory for additions to make them happy. In most states, tags and insurance are both cheaper... in some states significantly cheaper for an RV. AND once your kids are bigger and you perhaps need something different, it will be difficult to sell or trade-in.

So in many ways, you are financially better off getting a traditional conversion. Most buyers have a functional bath room as a top requirement. Just a thought to you...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM   #6

Thanks Mumkin, that's a good consideration too to point out with the insurance. Bet there are more considerations like that too that I need to put my ear to the ground for.

What is the consensus on the Hymer brand? I came across this type of vehicle and it's piqued my interest:

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...2+0-5029020820

Thanks again!

FP
Old Today, 01:25 AM   #7
Platinum Member

check out the chevy roadtreks. you can easily sleep three in there and there is no shower taking up any space.