Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2024, 04:36 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Portland OR Mercedes oil change price shock therapy

Quote for of oil with oil filter change in Wilsonville OR MB sky high, $382, but they claimed using the special super-duper MB exclusive oil low ash, ouch. That is about 50% more than the previous change. McCoy is gone, need to check Salem MB, Matrix Westside and Sprinter Store in Tualatin.

With McCoy gone I wouldn’t be surprised if price gouging on Portland could spread. Perhaps oil price was dramatically increased, diesel V6 takes special #229.52 oil (MB designation) and it is expensive but I used the same oil last time. Unfortunately, 14 quarts volume is not helping.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2024, 08:02 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Doesn't seem like too hard of a DIY
The Eyesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2024, 11:55 PM   #3
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=The Eyesore;155596]Doesn't seem like too hard of a DIY

You are correct, certainly it is not rocket science. The only oil with MB spec 229.52 I found is MB oil. Mobil 1 used to sell one with MB spec but no more. Found a place with 229.52 MB oil at almost 40% lower oil change price. It seems as folks in Portland area are squeezing customers wallets to max for oil change.
Old 09-26-2024, 12:25 AM   #4
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=GeorgeRa;155597]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eyesore View Post
Doesn't seem like too hard of a DIY

You are correct, certainly it is not rocket science. The only oil with MB spec 229.52 I found is MB oil. Mobil 1 used to sell one with MB spec but no more. Found a place with 229.52 MB oil at almost 40% lower oil change price. It seems as folks in Portland area are squeezing customers wallets to max for oil change.

Sounds like the kind of place that would tell you "If you have ask the price, you can't afford it."
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2024, 12:58 AM   #5
Platinum Member

You can buy that oil from Walmart and have it shipped to the store or home for $84 for 15 quarts. Changing the oil on my Sprinter is much easier than a lot of vehicles I have owned.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-E...RoCAtsQAvD_BwE
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2024, 01:26 AM   #6
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=booster;155598]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post

Sounds like the kind of place that would tell you "If you have ask the price, you can't afford it."
I used to go to Wilsonville MB, good service and they had reasonable prices. Something has changed, perhaps new ownership.
Old 09-26-2024, 01:35 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
You can buy that oil from Walmart and have it shipped to the store or home for $84 for 15 quarts. Changing the oil on my Sprinter is much easier than a lot of vehicles I have owned.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-E...RoCAtsQAvD_BwE
Recommended oil by Mobil is 228.52, not the required 229.52. Somewhere on the Sprinter Forum I read that Mobil 1 had to remove 229.52 rating due to lack of approval from MB. Walmart could have an old picture of the Mobil1 oil with 229.52 designation.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/...ynthetic-5w-30
Old 09-26-2024, 12:19 PM   #8
Platinum Member

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DKIKX0DER&th=1
Old 09-26-2024, 01:33 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Here is a link to the product data sheet that is currently on the Mobile website.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/...x-pdsdatasheet
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2024, 05:59 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb496 View Post
I used to use Valvoline extensively, somehow it didn’t surface in my search when I searched for 229.52. I appreciate, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Here is a link to the product data sheet that is currently on the Mobile website.
https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/...x-pdsdatasheet
I think I understand how I made a mistake, I searched for 2013 Sprinter oil on Mobil site instead of later Sprinter years. 228.52 was a correct oil in 2013 but now the 229.52 is recommended by Mercedes.

I found Mercedes in Salem changing oil for $235, which would be exactly $100 to $110 over Valvoline + Mahle/Bosch/Mann oil filter. This cost could be justified but Salem is 45 min. away, a little far for just oil change but no headache of dealing with 14 quarts of used oil and dashboard warning resetting.

Interesting Google reviews for Wilsonville MB, many 5 stars with increasing number of one-star ratings. I have seen only one review in the middle; one-star ratings usually related to service with comments about recent ownership change to Swickard. I spent one hour on the phone with Wilsonville trying to get oil change exact quote, only response was it starts at $280. The next day someone called me with exact quote of $382. I had ½ minute phone call with MB Salem to get oil change details and exact quote of $235.

Thank you all for corrections and help.
Old Yesterday, 10:53 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Interesting costs difference, exactly $150 less for oil change in Salem MB vs Portland (Wilsonville MB). I had some errands to take care off in Corvallis so on the route there I had oil change done in MB in Salem, made appointment earlier. 45 min waiting, nice service, slightly less than the quoted price. Must be something special about The Capital of Portlandia.