Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default On the fence! Still!

I'm still on the fence. Should I buy a class B or not? I've been on this fence for way too long.

Please help me decide which side of the fence I should end up on.

I'm mid 60's. Retired. I still like camping. Darling one seems to have lost interest, which complicates the decision! We tent camped for many years. I still do occasionally. But as I get older it does seem less appealing. Especially when your self inflating pad develops a hole. Arg.

I think we both agree that financially it makes no sense. But I still want one, and can afford it. But it would cut into our discretionary spending.

I currently "camp" in a Toyota highlander hybrid. It is OK, perhaps deluxe. I use it for camping maybe 1 month a year. Sometimes I set up a tent, sometimes I sleep inside. My only problem sleeping inside is it has limited headroom. I can't really sit up, which is why I sometimes use a tent.

I know, this is mostly a relationship issue. I'd rather we camp together. But that is unlikely.
I might use it, perhaps alone, for one month a year. That seems to work out for us.

How did you decide to finally buy one?
Any regrets? What would you do differently?
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM   #2
Platinum Member

There is possibility that a van could change her mind. I have lost much of my interest in “camping” but I could live in my van. The van bed is actually more comfortable and pleasant than the one at home. Consider building out your own so you can make bright and spacious with the amenities that are important to you and her. Include her in the process. The time required for the build will allow her time to reconsider.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM   #3
Platinum Member

We chose to get a camper van when were both retired. We started camping way back with 1977 VW Westfalia and continue since then. We had various RVs and the one before the recent van was a RV trailer (21’) which we found too cumbersome to hookup, to drive and in 2012 decided to get something smaller.

We ended up with two final choices: a small trailer (about 15’) or a camper van with similar layout and openness as our previously owned Westfalias. Unfortunately, market was saturated with cages for sardines almost claustrophobic, not many windows, décor from seventies, subpar quality – no match to our desires.

Having decades of camping experience we venture to DIY endeavor. Bought a Sprinter passenger van in 2013 and converted it to a camper van with a similar layout to our 1977/85 Westfalias with 360 degrees windows.
In retrospect, even thou we like our van a lot every once a while we think about tiny, easy to hook up, easy to tow camper trailer like Casita or Scamp.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM   #4
Bronze Member

I would go a rent a class "B" and see what it is like. If you decide to "pull the trigger" do lots of research. Especially on a dealer that carries the brand or brands you are interested in. We have a Coachmen B and are very satisfied with it. The problem is our dealer is not very good when it comes to service. Fortunately Coachmen is very customer focused and I have had some repairs that could wait done at the yearly rally in Elkhart. Other repairs I have done myself. Luckily most of the fixes have been minor. If you do settle on a van (Ram, Transit or Sprinter) local for a local chassis dealer that will work on the van. There have been some real horror stories of dealers not willing to work on a van because "it has been modified" or it is too heavy for their lift in the service bay. Good luck
JoeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM   #5
Platinum Member

It doesn’t seem like a great idea to me if your wife doesn’t want to use it and doesn’t want to spend the money. I wouldn’t spend $100k ++ on anything if I had to ask the question on an Internet forum unless that amount of money was pocket change for me.

The idea of renting is the best advice here. That would quickly answer the question and would be a cheap way to test the water a little more.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:12 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobe View Post
The idea of renting is the best advice here. That would quickly answer the question and would be a cheap way to test the water a little more.
Absolutely with these guys on this. Looks like you're in NY? What's the weather like there? If I were renting to determine a purchase I don't think I'd do it in foul weather. But nice fall weather with leaves changing and a few days at a close campground would probably do the trick.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:56 AM   #7
Platinum Member

https://rvshare.com/
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote

« House batteies | - »