Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2024, 01:12 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default How to choose custom mattress for fixed bed?

I dread the comments, but here goes!!

We are looking for a mattress to fit a Coachmen Galleria 24A fixed bed frame measuring 74"L x 68"W with upper body articulation to watch TV in bed. Our issue is that we tend to be picky about mattresses, so just ordering something online and hoping it works is not really how we want to handle it. However, we can not seem to locate a custom mattress maker with a showroom, at least not in the Northeast. Some custom sized mattresses are costing upwards of $1000-$2000 or even more. That is a lot to spend without being able to determine what firmness works best for us.

Any suggestions, other then just buying some rando-Amazon Chinese throw-away rubber mattress.
sparkyfourhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 02:46 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyfourhire View Post
I dread the comments, but here goes!!

We are looking for a mattress to fit a Coachmen Galleria 24A fixed bed frame measuring 74"L x 68"W with upper body articulation to watch TV in bed. Our issue is that we tend to be picky about mattresses, so just ordering something online and hoping it works is not really how we want to handle it. However, we can not seem to locate a custom mattress maker with a showroom, at least not in the Northeast. Some custom sized mattresses are costing upwards of $1000-$2000 or even more. That is a lot to spend without being able to determine what firmness works best for us.

Any suggestions, other then just buying some rando-Amazon Chinese throw-away rubber mattress.
I designed and built our Rock & Roll sofa bed from t-slot aluminum profiles composed from 3 sections, total bed is 54” W x 76” long and foam sandwich is 6” thick. I went to a local upholstery shop; the owner offered me some options and we selected different foam structures for bed (two upper sections) for sleeping comfort and the lower section for the seating comfort. Good upholstery shop should be able to show you samples to help you to decide. Good luck.
GeorgeRa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 10:29 AM   #3
Platinum Member

We had a custom marine mattress made out of 5" Tatalay latex at a marine mattress company in California. Ours is odd shape because of curves in the van sides so made from our paper template we sent them. Not inexpensive even 15 years ago, but very, very comfortable.

The also can add the hinge that you need in yours without any problem as they do a lot of that in boats.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 10:59 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I have used T-Slot for a number of projects. There are some improved products that make for "less" construction-looking. I note many DIY camper-van builds use T-Slot.

I tried to check your links, but get a 500-error. Do you have any plans or images of your Rock&Roll sofa bed? Would be nice to check out. Thanks in Advance.

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 11:09 AM   #5
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We had a custom marine mattress made out of 5" Tatalay latex at a marine mattress company in California.
Were you able to try out different materials to determine comfort level before ordering?
sparkyfourhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 12:04 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyfourhire View Post
Were you able to try out different materials to determine comfort level before ordering?

We could not as they are across the country from us, but I did contact them and describe that we like very, very firm and that it would be on solid base. It turned out to be perfect for us based on their recommendation.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 04:58 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
I have used T-Slot for a number of projects. There are some improved products that make for "less" construction-looking. I note many DIY camper-van builds use T-Slot.

I tried to check your links, but get a 500-error. Do you have any plans or images of your Rock&Roll sofa bed? Would be nice to check out. Thanks in Advance.

Cheers - Jim
It was naïve for me to rely on Google to maintain links to my online albums intact, my first bad experience was with Picasa, now Google Photos. My next albums are going to be on my own drives. Cloud services supposed to be the reliable ones, in theory. I am trying to gigure out why all links to my albums became invalid and some albums vanished.

I am adding an linear actuator to me bed, last improvement.

My use of 80/20
https://goo.gl/photos/Mdqa7sxApbQ5csCQ7
Rock&roll
https://goo.gl/photos/UVupnzpkrGAVs4sUA
GeorgeRa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 07:15 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Nice George - Thanks.
I bet you'll like the linear actuator. We do on our zero-gravity at home. Been considering such a thing for the RT. Your execution shows the details needed. May be useful for sparkyforhire too.

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote