Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2024, 04:20 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Anyone Gutted and Replaced Their RV Interior?

My 2004 Leisure Travel Van has serious water-intrusion related issues. The overhead cabinet on one side has broken free of its attachments and is presently shored-up with temporary support attached to the countertop below. The upfitter installed headliner is sagging badly in places. I need to get to the interior of the roof to assess possible rust damage.

The van has 65,000 miles on it and has been regularly serviced. I love that it doesn't need DEF. I'd really like to hang on to it.

Has anyone gutted their old van and replaced the interior?
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2024, 05:04 PM   #2
Site Team

I have not, but it seems like a fine idea to me.

As long as you're willing to keep the bathroom fixtures in the same place, it seems like it should be straightforward, and much more appealing than constantly dealing with obsolete and poorly-documented wiring and systems.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2024, 06:40 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I gutted, benches only, a new passenger van and designe and installed camping shtuff except interior shower. Not a simple job but doable. https://sprinter-source.com/forums/i...threads/21773/
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2024, 12:08 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I started from scratch with a bus conversion and completed it. What I have seen is uncompleted bus conversions for sale all over the country. Big job and a big commitment.

Have also noticed lots of gutted RV's for sale. Big job, need a place to work and a willingness to learn. Plan on it taking 3 times longer than what you think and costing twice as much. Look for some vintage trailer or RV sites where they take old broken down wore out ones and make them like new.
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2024, 02:55 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I spent considerable amount of time at my desk designing cabinetry, sofa bed, electrical and plumbing systems which eliminated a number of inevitable mistakes. Potential mistakes were caught on paper early on. I also use 80/20 methodology which uses aluminum profiles for cabinetry framing and practically all material was cut and machined at the 80/20 factory, assembly was almost a Lego play.

Having all designs available upfront helps later with troubleshooting, I often referred to old drawings if I need to modify or repair my van.

I agree with the previous post about project length, it is a long project. I am currently adding a linear actuator to my sofa bed and the van is already 11 years old.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote