Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2024, 03:52 PM   #1

Default Is it my imagination or is it difficult to sell a used Class B vehicle?

Hi,
I am new to the group and a wannabee Class B owner.

In doing my research for used RVs, it sure seems like people are having a lot of trouble selling their used Class B RVs.

I've looked at most of the brands all the way from Airstream on down and I see people reducing their prices and ads that have been up for several months, and still not selling.

Is it my imagination or is it very difficult to sell a used RV?
(I know this is a Class B forum so some of you may have had experience in selling your RV and can share your experience with me.

I wonder what percentage of RVers buy used and what percentage buy new.

I also see that most of the newer models that are only a few years old seem to have much less than 10,000 miles which kind of indicates that many people don't travel all that many miles.

Look, I am just trying to learn and just sharing what I have perceived in the market. If I am off base or if you have some insight to share with me, it will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks again for sharing anything you might think that may help me in my journey. And Yes, I plan to rent (which I haven't done yet) a Class B before purchasing one.

Semper Fi,
JoeyA
JoeyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 04:42 PM   #2
Platinum Member

The class b market went nuts during the Covid period, with prices going up uncontrollably high. Now those that wanted to be "campers" to get out of the house are dumping that vans that they rarely used and don't really want to be campers anyway. You can really see it all by how the people in campgrounds has changed back to pre Covid type campers, and away from the very irritating, entitled, Covid campers.

Currently, I think many of the sellers seem stuck on Covid level pricing levels, and supply and demand is showing those prices are way, way, too high for today's market conditions. You can easily find comparable, older, class b vans listed for hugely different prices for no good reason other than pricing to market matching, IMO.

I think a careful shopper will be able to find a quite good deal on used, or a new buyer may be able to find big price reductions on new units. The manufacturers don't want to lower their Covid inflated sticker prices, but they will offer reductions and rebates, or maybe good financing.

Somebody who paid $80K for a used B during Covid is going to have hard, but not impossible, time accepting that is now worth barely $50K.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 04:54 PM   #3
Site Team

I think it is hard to generalize. Certainly there is a Covid-echo inventory surplus right now. Who knows how long it will last? Beyond that, I think it depends critically on the quality of the product, pricing, supply vs demand, and the luck of the draw.

FWIW: we had little trouble selling our previous rig last winter. Just posted on RVtrader and waited. Took a couple of months. When the right buyer came along, they gladly flew across the country to pick it up. We did do one small price reduction early on, since our original price was somewhat aggressive. This was intentional. It makes sense to probe the market. A price reduction does not necessarily reflect distress.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 05:20 PM   #4
Platinum Member

That was a T1N you were selling. My understanding is that T1N’s are the modern VW Westphalia—those in good condition being prized.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 05:26 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
That was a T1N you were selling. .
No. The Legend was a 2014 NCV3. Our first rig (an early Interstate) was a T1N.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 07:51 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I built my own Sprinter conversion before covid, my cost was a new 2013 Sprinter passenger van 144” WB for $50K + $20K in all material including 80/20 factory precut, appliances + my labor + my design. Took me about 6 months to get to a campable level and about additional 12 months to 90% finish. I extensively use CAD so the ratio of my cost of my own design and labor was high for a single built, a prototype but have I built ten units the ratio of design cost would be dramatically reduced and cost of labor as well as would focus on reduced cost of manufacturing. So, my base to gauge other camper vans was about $50K for a van + $20K for material/appliances + $30K for design/manufacturing = $100K. I didn’t use staplers, wire nuts, splice wire terminals, no Romex (all marine wires) etc.

Another comparison would be a cost of a Chassis Cab Van $50K + 16’ Fiberglass Camper tailer – $30K + $20K for Ducting Tape for total assembly = $100K

Current prices are coming down after euphoria of van camping, unfortunately quality is very variable. In Europe camper vans are less expensive, but they don’t use black tanks which are very, very, very expensive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EU campers.jpg (295.3 KB, 14 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 09:00 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyA View Post

Is it my imagination or is it very difficult to sell a used RV?
(I know this is a Class B forum so some of you may have had experience in selling your RV and can share your experience with me.
As those above have pointed out is that what you are seeing is a return to normality in the market.

During the covid feeding frenzy those of us who were selling were getting significantly more than we paid 3 or 4 years before and those who were buying were paying above MSRP... and even those number had skyrocketed. Too many of those who bought at that time had never RVed and had no idea what they were getting into. The market now is flooded with 2 or 3 year old low mileage rigs... and they have no idea what to ask for them since they had so overpaid.

If I were in the market to buy and knew what I wanted (be it Roadtrek or Airstream or Pleaureway), I would join the owners groups on Facebook. There are always one or two owners on there selling... and you can research their posts so you know any issues they have had and what work they have done. I've noticed that they are finally starting to realize that the market has changed and prices are dropping... though many of them did overpay not long ago. Certainly better than buying from a random seller on RV Trader. Though you can use it to scope out what others are asking.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 09:21 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
. . . . . .If I were in the market to buy and knew what I wanted (be it Roadtrek or Airstream or Pleaureway), I would join the owners groups on Facebook. There are always one or two owners on there selling... and you can research their posts so you know any issues they have had and what work they have done. I've noticed that they are finally starting to realize that the market has changed and prices are dropping... though many of them did overpay not long ago. Certainly better than buying from a random seller on RV Trader. Though you can use it to scope out what others are asking.
This is good advice, I belong to the Facebook Airstream Interstate 19 Group. There are many listed for sale in the group.
Old 06-20-2024, 01:11 AM   #9
Platinum Member

There is some really good advice here. I joined this forum to research and "smarten-up." Then used Facebook and the RV sales sites - including eBay to search for the van. Bought just what we wanted from a couple on FB. Theirs and our timing was just right, and we were able to both happy with the deal. Wish you the Best of luck.

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 06:56 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I think that class B's, which are built on an existing motor vehicle platform, are subject to more regulation and better Quality Control. Vehicle systems and drivetrain are more robust and durable. While the coach side outfitting may be subject to COVID deficits like other RV types I wanted a used B and probably paid twice what I could have gotten a used A or C for. No regrets
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 10:58 PM   #11
Bronze Member

I read with interest the great comments and just wanted to mention you might want to check NADA for prices on specific models. That was helpful to me six years ago when I entered this Class B world. Just got back from our 4700 mile trek. All the best to you in your search.
sehsteve@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote