Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2024, 06:50 PM   #1

Default Pleasure way charging issue

Owner reverse connect house battery now won't charge while running engine. Talked with pleasure way service and they could not tell me where the battery isolated or charge solenoid are located. They also mention a 80 amp breaker but could not tell me the location of that. I have checked all fuses and breakers I can locate but no 80amp reset able seen.
2006 pleasure way on sprinter chassis
The 2 30amp fuses on the house charger under the jump seats were blown and now replaced so that is working
Just not getting anything from the alternator to the house battery.
CaptPete2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2024, 07:17 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Gotta be an easy thing to chase down. Get a volt-ohm meter, start the engine, and check the voltage at the alternator, follow that wire to the isolator or separator. If you still get voltage see where that wire goes (probably the coach battery switch) and follow it till it get to the battery.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2024, 07:52 PM   #3
Platinum Member

What chassis is your PW on? My 97 is on Dodge 3500 van chassis. Isolator was placed beneath driver's side headlight. Have to remove exterior trim under light to access it. Originally that's where the vacuum reserve canister was.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2024, 05:26 PM   #4
Bronze Member

I have the same vehicle as you do. We do not have a 80A charge line so you can stop looking for that. Before you start the engine, note voltage measurements at red key and battery and unplug from any other charging source so you can see any changes after starting.
The isolator device is under the drivers seat. When you start the engine, check the voltage output of the alternator and at the red key. Make sure the red key is in and turned on. Over the years it seems that whether the red key isolates the battery from the alternator depends on who wired your rig. I’ve never been able to get consistent answers that everyone is wired the same for alternator charging.
After starting the engine, if the voltages are similar (accounting for voltage drop over a long distance), then you’re getting it that far and you don’t have to remove the seat. If you’re not, then you’ll need to go under there. It’s not difficult but it is heavy and bulky to remove. Best to have a helper if you can to get it down or have a table nearby so you’re not putting it on the ground. That’ll make it easier. Watch out for a cable you’ll need to unplug and plug back in again when reinstalling.
There’s only that isolator and the red key that is in that circuit so there’s not much to check.
Hope that helps. If you’re on Facebook, I have a group specifically for the 2004-2006 chassis Plateau owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPete2022 View Post
Owner reverse connect house battery now won't charge while running engine. Talked with pleasure way service and they could not tell me where the battery isolated or charge solenoid are located. They also mention a 80 amp breaker but could not tell me the location of that. I have checked all fuses and breakers I can locate but no 80amp reset able seen.
2006 pleasure way on sprinter chassis
The 2 30amp fuses on the house charger under the jump seats were blown and now replaced so that is working
Just not getting anything from the alternator to the house battery.
bl_smith25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2024, 03:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl_smith25 View Post
I have the same vehicle as you do. We do not have a 80A charge line so you can stop looking for that. Before you start the engine, note voltage measurements at red key and battery and unplug from any other charging source so you can see any changes after starting.
The isolator device is under the drivers seat. When you start the engine, check the voltage output of the alternator and at the red key. Make sure the red key is in and turned on. Over the years it seems that whether the red key isolates the battery from the alternator depends on who wired your rig. I’ve never been able to get consistent answers that everyone is wired the same for alternator charging.
After starting the engine, if the voltages are similar (accounting for voltage drop over a long distance), then you’re getting it that far and you don’t have to remove the seat. If you’re not, then you’ll need to go under there. It’s not difficult but it is heavy and bulky to remove. Best to have a helper if you can to get it down or have a table nearby so you’re not putting it on the ground. That’ll make it easier. Watch out for a cable you’ll need to unplug and plug back in again when reinstalling.
There’s only that isolator and the red key that is in that circuit so there’s not much to check.
Hope that helps. If you’re on Facebook, I have a group specifically for the 2004-2006 chassis Plateau owners.
Thanks for the great response, now have another issue that developed today that the 40amp breaker for what says the convertor is open and no 12volts anywhere except refrigerator and couch. Previous owner had reverse polarized the house battery so seems to have really screwed things up. I suspect the on board charger may have died, installed new 30amp fuel initially and it was working but suspect it died. Something is really drawing a load so will start chasing wires.
CaptPete2022 is offline   Reply With Quote