Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2024, 03:10 AM   #1

Question 2015 Roadtrek SS Agile -- Rear Coach Battery Disconnect?

Hi, I have the 2015 Roadtrek SS Agile -- 4 AGM batteries for the coach with 2 batteries under the hood and 2 batteries that are mounted under the rear of the vehicle where the spare tire would normally be mounted. All these batteries are dead and need replacement. I also have the underhood generator and 3 100 watt solar panels.

The rear battery tray release (pins that need to be removed) are frozen and we cannot get this battery tray to release even after using penetrating oil, placing a floor jack under the tray and relieving the pressure, and trying to tap out the pins. The previous owner had the vehicle in at the RV garage and they couldn't even get this battery tray opened.

If we just replace the 2 front AGM batteries for the coach, can we just disconnect the rear AGM batteries for the coach and just live off 2 front coach batteries? I use a minimal amount of electricity.

I would appreciate any advice.
Lorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2024, 04:41 PM   #2

Never done battery pins before , but I've done quite a few spring shackle replacements on jeeps. The bolt is invariably rusted to the sleeve of the spring bushing.
PB blaster daily for a week or so. If you can SAFELY get a torch near the pins heat them up, no need to cherry red them just too hot to touch. Then spray with more PB. That stuff will penetrate and loosen them.
Make sure you don't have any other means to hold the pins in place like spring clips etc.
Richard Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 04:30 PM   #3
Silver Member

We have a 2015 SS Agile and replaced all 4 batteries last year. We have a handy mechanic nearby and he helped with the replacement (we bought the new batteries). He had to repeatedly heat up the tray / pins to get them loose. We had tried all other means; it was worth the $ we paid him to replace all 4 batteries (about $200). Good luck!!
sdunn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 06:23 PM   #4

Our Agile came with only the 2 underhood coach batteries. We also have solar and are able to get by a few days of boondocking without charging. We have a propane generator where you have the second set of batteries. You might try replacing just the two accessible batteries (disconnecting the rear batteries) to give it a try. It depends on your use/needs.
Old 06-17-2024, 12:28 PM   #5
Platinum Member

There has been several threads discussing that pin removal on the rear battery tray. Try a search for keywords: Roadtrek House Battery Replacement. In my case, a Harbor Freight lawn mower jack was used to lift the rear battery tray a little to release the stress on the j-pin. Then I sprayed some corrosionX around the pin and tried to rotate it over a couple days. Finally it moved and I was able to tap it out. The jack helped to slowly lower the tray and get to the batteries. This has made me remember that I am planning to replace the batteries so I will have to go out to the barn and spray that j-pin before I begin to do the actual work.
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery box, battery replacement, roadtrek agile