Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2024, 03:11 PM   #101
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
I can't imagine how you manage to sleep 3 in a minivan. lol A couple years later I upsized to an LTV Libero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
5 of us slept in our 1985 VW Westfalia, 2 kids on the upper bed, the youngest one on the hammock spread across front seats, and my wife and I on the bottom bed. VW Vanagon was 180” long, Odyssey is 205” long.
I build a bed platform behind the drivers seat which can be extended to accommodate (barely) two peeps. Our teen fits well across the front seats, bought some inflatable "wedges" to level the seat surfaces, and raise up the overall level to take advantage of the full width of the front cabin from window to window.

So it is possible for 3 to sleep in there. Very little "head space", and not really good to hang out inside, but it works well for outdoor camping.
Old 09-10-2024, 03:42 PM   #102
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
Very little "head space", and not really good to hang out inside, but it works well for outdoor camping.

They do make poptops for minivans, at least the Toyota Sienna. Can even get AWD in them.

https://newatlas.com/automotive/unic...pop-up-camper/
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2024, 03:52 PM   #103
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
They do make poptops for minivans, at least the Toyota Sienna. Can even get AWD in them.

https://newatlas.com/automotive/unic...pop-up-camper/
Yes, I saw that and it looks really nice. But... $16000 (+tax and traveling there) (vs $200 for some plywood and screws...) Hmmmm.

I did look at Siennas (vs Odyssey) and they seem overpriced (aka in high demand), a bit smaller inside, and the second row seats are problematic to remove. The Toyota dealer dudes seemed really arrogant too... The hybrid mileage is nice, but offset by the higher initial price unless you drive a lot (I don't), and the Honda 6cyl is so smooth and powerful after the howling Pentastar, not sure how I'd like the Toyota 4-banger.

I pondered roof tents too, good option, but also has its drawbacks. In the end, being able to just sleep inside (even cramped) has a lot of advantages.
Old 09-11-2024, 10:13 PM   #104
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
Very little "head space", and not really good to hang out inside, but it works well for outdoor camping.
At the time I purchased the Sienna, it had the most interior space which is what won for me over the Honda. What I found most frustrating was that even with my low single platform bed, I couldn't sit up in bed without bumping my head on something. I did consider adding the poptop to cure that, but felt that it wasn't worth the cost. And since most of my travel was in cold weather, a canvas top would probably freeze me out. lol

Lots of options... all with pros and cons...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
18m, promaster, rize, thor