Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Re: AAA Roadside Assistance (info from Ron)

Quote:
Felt that I should post the following message/information for all those who have a Class B Van/Camper or a Van and may have AAA for Roadside Assistance.

I realize that this E-mail will be read by various Forum Groups/Owners of Vans, and Class B Van/Campers in the United States and Canada, and that each AAA District may have their own rules concerning Roadside Assistance for Vans, Camper Vans, and Motor Homes.

My wife and I were at my local AAA Office in Fairhaven, MA inquiring about Roadside Assistance should it be required for our Class B, Van/Camper, 2002 Dodge, 2002 RoadTrek, 190 Popular, response was yes that we qualified for the Roadside Assistance.

They also gave us a AAA Southern New England Member Handbook, on page 4 of the handbook states the following:

Eligible Vehicles: Service applies to all properly licensed and registered FOUR-WHEELED Motor Vehicles of the Passenger, Pleasure, or Recreational Types (Van, Campers and Motor Homes), regardless of license plate designation, if those services can be safely delivered. Dual-Wheel Campers/Motor Homes will be provided all services except towing, extrication/recovery, and tire service. Rented passenger vehicles are eligible for service. Commercial vehicles are eligible for service with the exclusion of taxi cabs and limousines.

I also have been in contact with Nadja McLintock Lead Membership Processor/Technical Support of AAA Southern New England, she informed me that she was sorry to inform me that modifications made to my vehicle, (Class B Van/Camper) makes it ineligible for service.

Ms. McLintock was informed that my Van/Camper is a Four (4) Wheeled Motor Vehicle, she stated If I had any questions regarding this policy to contact Mr James Adams in the Member Relations Dept, (401) 868-2000 or 1-800-291-8022, ext.2271.

I did contact Mr James Adams Member Relations Dept, AAA Southern New England,110 Royal Little Dr, Providence, RI 02904, and was informed that our Class B Van/Camper would not qualify for Roadside assistance.

Mr Adams stated that the Key Word that would not qualify Roadside Assistance is "IF THOSE SERVICES CAN BE SAFELY DELIVERED".

We do not qualify for Roadside Assistance by AAA being the size of our RoadTrek, Class B Van/Camper, or even change a flat tire, even though our Class B Van/Camper is a FOUR-WHEELED Motor Vehicle.

I did point out to Mr Adams that the Handbook specifies that service applies to four-wheeled motor vehicles such as recreational types, VANS, CAMPERS and MOTOR HOMES that they are eligible vehicles.

Again Mr Adams stated that the Key Word that would not qualify Roadside Assistance for eligible vehicles is, "IF THOSE SERVICES CAN BE SAFELY DELIVERED".

Will say Mr Adams was helpful with me in answering my question.

We have the Primary Membership Card, and even if we had the AAA Plus Optional Coverage it would not surprise me if AAA would find a loop hole not to provide service on a Van, class B Van/Camper, or a Motor Home.

I am sure there have been those who have either the Primary or Plus membership and did receive AAA service for either a tow or flat tire change, BUT FOLKS BEWARE, we thought we were covered, but we are not covered for Roadside Assistance.

My opinion is that it should not be mentioned in the AAA handbook that a van, camper or motor home is an Eligible Vehicle when actually it is not, this is misrepresentation.

It is also my understanding if we wish to drop AAA we can get a pro-rated refund.

I wonder if there is a national office for AAA with an E-mail address that I could contact, I have also sent a copy of this E-mail to Channel 5, WCVB TV/DT, Boston, MA, WCVB-TV's Team 5 Investigates.

Needles to say I will not re-new with AAA, at this time I am looking at Good Sam RV Emergency Road Service, I like the idea that for $79.95, joining price, I get Free Emergency Towing Service for the RV, all household cars, vans, SUVs and pickups, all for the same price.

Also, if the RV needs to be towed to a professional RV service center, even if it is hundreds of miles away Good Sam RV will pay for it, and Good Sam RV Service is extended to your spouse or other household adult.

For further information on Good Sam RV check out: www.GoodSamERS.com

Would appreciate hearing from those who have Roadside Assistance from other companies, and their opinions.

Ron Cabral

Ron & Rose Cabral
New Bedford, MA
2002-Dodge-2002-RT-190 POP
FMCA: 303873
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

AAA's normal auto policy does not cover RV's. However, you can upgrade any AAA policy to include your RV. The plan is called AAA PLUS RV. Of course, it's an extra charge but well worth it.

We had a dead battery out in the middle of nowhere New Mexico. Thankfully we did have a cell phone connection. AAA sent out a flatbed truck to give us a jumpstart. The flatbed was just in case they couldn't get us started and we needed to be carried back to town.

Ron just needs to ask the right questions from his local AAA service center. Or, the dummies should have thought to tell him about the RV Plus plan!

JV
Old 03-27-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
Ron
Platinum Member

Default Re: AAA Roadsite Assistance

Julie, here in Southern New England AAA Plus RV is not available, as I understand it is not available in MA, and other states.

Understand there are just a few states which AAA Plus RV is available.

Yet our Southern New England AAA Member Handbook states Roadside Assistance is available for Vans, Campers, and Motor Homes, but in all reality it is not.

Ron
FMCA:303873 ~K1RRC~ RRRCRT@aol.com
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
Platinum Member

We upgrade our CAA to CAA Plus RV during the summer when we have the RV on the road. So far, we haven't needed it and hopefully won't but at least we have it. One thing to make sure you check is what is actually covered. I think the CAA Plus RV will only tow an RV up to 160km.

In Canada, at least the 3 provinces we've lived in, will only cover an RV if you have the Plus RV. I guess a "B" could be concidered a van depending how much it has been upgraded.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:06 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

I apologize Ron, I didn't know that they don't offer it up in that part of the country - I wonder why? It would be interesting to find out what their reasoning is. I'm sure it's probably related to underwriting, either not enough RV'ers to cover the risk, or too many liability issues with covering them I would guess.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:59 AM   #6
Bronze Member

CSAA ( AAA in California ) does not offer RV Plus and they will not tow RV's. But they will allow "up to" $200 reimbursement for RV towing no matter where you are. They did tell me that your coverage goes with you, meaning that if your AAA affiliate offers towing, then it is good everywhere, even here in CA where we can't get it.
It probably differs with your location but does anyone have an idea as to how far the $200 might get you ? ( besides 'not very far' )
FLSTFI is offline   Reply With Quote