Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 2009 Winnebago ERA - New Class B Motorhome

The following 2009 Winnebago ERA information was generously supplied by Ron Lichtsinn from Lichtsinn Motors.

My first communication with Ron early this past summer. At the time, I was considering getting a Winnebago View or Itasca Navion. Lichtsinn Motors prices were fantastic. No hassle, no haggling just a great deal. He can do it because he's a high volume Winnebago / Itasca dealer.

Lichtsinn Motors
826 Highway 69 North
Forest City, IA 50436

http://www.lichtsinn.com/motorhome/winnebago_dealer.htm

TOLL FREE:
1-800-343-6255
Phone: 641-585-3213
Fax: 641-585-5758

sales@lichtsinn.com
parts@lichtsinn.com
service@lichtsinn.com

-----------------------------------------

From what I've seen so far, the Winnebago ERA will be offered in two trim packages; Touring & Limited. Both available in Charcoal or Golden.

The Limited package has raised letter logos, enhanced graphics, dash appliqué, Standard UltraLeather, premium furniture upgrade and standard pleated cab window coverings.

Winnebago ERA Interior Colors:

Winnebago ERA Specifications:

Winnebago ERA Floor Plan:

markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:57 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Old 12-17-2007, 02:56 PM   #3

Default Winabago ERA

Is the model year correct? 2009. Is this available now or is it coming out for 2009? It is a Sprinter frame correct? Is it available without the extra 2 seats? Any info on price?
Old 12-17-2007, 04:05 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Winnebago Industries is unveiling a smaller, more fuel efficient recreational vehicle this week at the annual National RV Trade Show in Louisville, Kentucky. Kelli Harms, a spokesperson for the Forest City-based company, says the 2009 ERA resembles a large van.

Harms says the Class B vehicle still has many of the same features of a Class A full-size motor home, including a bathroom and sleeping space. However, the ERA gets around 17 miles per gallon on the highway. Larger, bus size motor homes typically get 8 to 10 miles per gallon.

The 2009 ERAs could be on the market in late February or early March. Harms says ERA's price will range from $90,000 to $100,000, depending on options. Winnebago is introducing the ERA at a time when industry sales of larger RVs are declining. Harms says, "I think you are seeing a softening in the RV market because people are looking for something more fuel efficient and cost effective." Winnebago has not offered a Class B vehicle since 2003.
According to the above, it might be available early 2008 and the price will range from from $90,000 to $100,000.

Yes, it is a Sprinter Van.

The floorplan indicates that you can get optional storage cabinets in place of the third & fourth seats.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:21 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Anyone else notice that this floorplan is very similar to Roadtrek's RS-Adventurous?
Old 12-17-2007, 07:03 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

Nice looking vehicle! However, we were very UN-impressed with Lichtsinn Motors when we visited them last summer. We were looking to possibly trade our PW Plateau for a Winnebago View or an Itasca Navion.

We spent an hour or so with the saleman, looking at the units they had on the lot. Howver, we got hung up when we asked to drive it. Obviously we wanted to see how it felt on the road, what kind of "pick up" that it had and how it handled. They refused to let us drive it unless we bought it! That was the deal breaker right there!

We found another dealer north of Minneapolis that allowed us to drive their Winnebago View. His answer when we asked to drive was "of course, it's not a yard ornament, it's made to be driven". That is definitely the dealer that we'll go to if we decide to move up to a slightly larger vehicle in the future.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:51 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I wonder why the salesman wouldn't let you test drive it? Maybe someone from Lichtsinn Motors will comment. Dealers and Manufacturers are allowed to post on this forum. It'd be interesting to hear from them.

I remember noting that I would've saved $30,000 buying a View or Navion from Lichtsinn Motors versus a local Dealer. I can't remember if that included purchasing an after-market warranty because Dodge does not honor the warranty on US Sprinters purchased by Canadians for use in Canada.

The price difference wasn't all local dealer markup. There is a $17,517.00 surcharge for the Canadian Sprinter cutaway chassis imposed by Dodge. The local Canadian dealer has a real disadvantage.

Re: the Winnebago ERA - The 3rd and 4th seats sure look comfortable!

I wonder if any other American RV manufacturers will start building Class B's?
Old 12-19-2007, 08:44 AM   #8

Airstream has been making Sprinter class Bs since 2005, called the Interstate. zz
zigzagguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:41 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Yes, how could I forget Airstream? There's also Conquest / Gulf Stream, Xplorer & Sportsmobile.

But....... I wonder if anyone else will jump aboard the Sprinter bandwagon?

It's a "Natural Born B"!
Old 01-13-2008, 08:36 AM   #10

Default Interior Height 5'10"?

The posted specs for the ERA shows an interior height of only 5'10".

I am assuming this is the lowest point at the AC vent. Interior height should be about 6'2". This would be more in line with the new Roadtrek SS Adventurous I was in. Has anyone been in the ERA that can comment on interior height?

Note on the Roadtrek, it does not use the 170" extended body and thus is 18" shorter than the ERA.
BHawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Default Re: Interior Height 5'10"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHawley
.........Note on the Roadtrek, it does not use the 170" extended body and thus is 18" shorter than the ERA.
Great observation!

24.1 feet is the extended body model with the 170" wheel base according to Dodge Specs and that matches exactly with Winnebago's posted specs.

22' 9" is the length given by Roadtrek in their news release for the new model. That matches with Dodge's 170" wheel base regular length body model.

I suspect that you are correct re: the interior height. Most probably 5' 10" is the minimum height clearance under the air conditioner.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:07 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Winnebago now has info on the new ERA on their site:

http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/era/index.php

Old 01-20-2008, 01:19 AM   #13
Platinum Member

They now show the interior height as being 6' 3"

http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/era/index.php
Old 03-02-2008, 02:00 PM   #14
Bronze Member

This drives me nuts - $100,000.00 for an rv that I can't walk in without stooping - and I'm just over 6'1'' . And how bout a DRY bath / shower ??
lefty is offline   Reply With Quote